Our meadow

The army of flowers blew gently in the wind, the breeze dancing around us; bringing the sweet scent of the spring. We sit together on our old, creaking bench which sits in the undergrowth, surrounded by nature; it’s perfect for us. A choir of birds serenade us with their heart warming voices. I put my hand in yours, it fits perfectly; you grip mine tight and smile. When the singing lowers the beautiful silence enchants our hearts, the day is captivating, the melody of spring. We lie together staring at the blue sky, naming each fluffy white shape. You make me laugh and giggle, and play with my hair like I’m a child, I love that.

The glimmering sun beams down through the overlooking canopy of lush green leaves onto us. The rays of light are warm against my skin; the sun is a high in the sky like a kite, but flying freely like a bird. Our shadows are projected onto the sea of bold red poppies, soaring foxgloves, flourishing violets and pallid daisies; our silhouettes lying on the ground.

You and I always come here, away from the world, guarded by towering trees and surrounded by the endless carpet of verdant grass, thriving ferns and the hundreds of blooming flowers.   

In the winter, when its freezing cold and white covers the ground, you lay the soft blanket your grandma knitted down on the crocked seat of the bench , we sit hugged in our coats- watching the snow fall. In the summer I bring a picnic or some homemade dish, we eat it together while laughing in the warm midday sunshine. In the autumn, we observe the world changing, the luxuriant greens and vivid colours turning into deep reds and chocolaty browns. The leaves fall like raindrops in a monsoon, swirling in the wind before delicately landing. No matter what we come here, to our harmless abyss, I love that.

Our park bench is a dot on the horizon amidst the labyrinth of overgrown shrubbery and the concoction of bright flowers. We are away from the busy cluttered lives we lead, away from exams, away from the stressful families at home, away from everything we want to be… but together, I love that.

The air wafts the fragrance of nature to us; greeting us with the perfume of flowers. It smells beautiful… so why am I crying? Teardrops run down my cheeks, leaving permanent rivers of dark make up on my skin. I let my tears fall; they cascade down my face like a summertime river. You look into my watery eyes but don’t stop me from crying, for your eyes are beginning to tear up to, and we both know why. For tomorrow things are changing; this is my last time in the meadow, it’s my last time with you.

I look over to our favourite tree; our names are carved into its ruff bark crust, but they’re beginning to gently rot away.