Seer's Hope (Chapter 26)

Seer's Hope

By Maree Anderson

Chapter Twenty-Six

Hope and Blayne's Joining day dawned cool with the promise of winter, but redeemed itself with clear skies and no hint of rain. Chryss sent his thanks to the beings responsible for the weather—he'd put in his request some time ago but was relieved they'd conceded to oblige him. They were contrary beings.

Hope and Blayne snuggled beneath the covers, both strangely reluctant to face the day.

"Are you two decent?" someone called from the doorway.

"Daryon? You made it!" Hope scrambled for her clothes.

"Come in," Blayne invited, laughing as Hope squealed and dived back under the covers.

"Still sleeping?" the Usehani Leader asked. "On your Joining Day? Outrageous!"

"What are you two up to?" Naytan asked, his smile evident in his voice.

"Use your imagination," Daryon deadpanned.

Hope cooled her flushed face with her palms. "I was beginning to think none of you would make it in time."

"Nerraya dithered over whether to come or not. It got so bad I was tempted to leave her behind."

Oh no. Hope gnawed her lip, trying to recall whether she had— Yes. She definitely had. "I did specifically invite her. So, did she come or not?"

"Of course she did. After Taran finally convinced her that whatever people thought about something that happened so long ago was neither here nor there."

Naytan snickered. "He was a little less diplomatic than that. He asked her why she thought anyone would be interested in her considering it was Hope's big day."

"Ouch." Hope mock-winced in sympathy. "Are they still talking to each other?"

"It was just the right thing to say," Naytan said. "Nerraya decided then and there she would show her support of you and Blayne, and everyone else could be damned. And here we are, so it must be true. We got in last night."

"Who else came with you?" Hopefully Breanna had made the journey. Hope wanted to check on Breanna personally rather than relying on secondhand accounts about how she was coping.

"We ended up with a few extras," Daryon said. "Which is why we're camped on the outskirts of the settlement rather than occupying the visitors quarters."

"How many extras? Not that I mind but I'll need to let Maya know so she doesn't have a conniption."

"Quite a few."

Hmm. What wasn't he telling her? "How many, Daryon? Exact numbers, please."

"The entire Usehani population."

"All of them?" The words erupted from her throat in a high-pitched squeak. Since the Usehani had unofficially rejoined the ranks of Dayamari settlements their numbers had swelled. Many of those who had gone to help them rebuild the burned hall had opted to stay.

"Yes. When your invitation came we held a public meeting, and everyone decided they wanted to attend. We owe you our lives, Hope. So you shouldn't be surprised we all wanted to be here for you. Besides, it's a chance to catch up with our Dayamari friends and families openly, instead of sneaking around."

"Maya is going to kill me." Hope covered her face with her hands and moaned. "Quite a few" extras was a gross understatement.

"It's all sorted," Naytan soothed. "We've already spoken to Maya. We brought supplies with us, so there won't be any shortages. Our best cooks are organizing their signature dishes, and we've brought skins of the alcoholic beverages we're experimenting with. So expect a little bit of friendly rivalry in the food and drink stakes."