Seer's Hope (Chapter 11)

Seer's Hope

By Maree Anderson

Chapter Eleven

Blayne rolled until they lay face to face. His breath caressed her skin. The intimacy made her smile. They hadn't even made it to the main sleeping room—their makeshift bed was a pile of cushions beside the hearth. She stroked his arm, thrilling when he shuddered beneath her touch. "I am starting to feel the cold. Shall we move to the sleeping room?"

"You better not be sleepy."

"Insatiable man."

"You have no idea." He surged to his feet, scooped her up and slung her over his shoulder.

She drummed his back with her fists. "Put me down!"

He only laughed and patted her bottom before tossing her on the sleeping platform. She wriggled beneath the covers, drawing them up to her nose.

"I have something for you." She heard him rummaging about and guessed he was searching through the carved wooden box where he kept his personal belongings.

"I'm sure I put it in here," he muttered. "Aha. Got it."

He climbed beneath the covers and she heard him drag in a long, uneven breath. Uh oh. Her heart drummed in her chest. Sounded like this was important.

"I have a gift for you. Hold out your hand."

She sat up but kept her hands tucked in close to her chest. "I do not need a gift from you. You love me. That is all I need." He'd given her enough already. He was all she needed.

"Sweet Wisa. I've finally found the woman I want to give this to, and she refuses to accept it." His tone turned serious. "Please. I want you to have it. I need you to have it."

"If it is so important to you." She held out her hand and he dropped something cool and heavy into her palm. A necklace—of small smooth stones, with one much larger stone hanging from it. So frustrating not to be able to see it. "Paint me a picture of the necklace with words, please."

"It is made of kuruvindas, which are precious gems of a deep red. The large stone forming the pendant is rare because of its size. It's very old and has been in my family for generations. It was my mother's. My father gave it to me before he died."

Her breath caught. "It feels beautiful. But the color...."

"Yes."

"A red necklace is given when a man Promises to a woman."

"Yes." He tapped the tip of her nose with a fingertip. "This necklace is a token of my Promise to you. Will you accept it?"

It was hard to get the words out through the tightness in her throat. "You have not known me long. Weeks."

"I'm sure. Are you?"

"Yes. Yes, I am sure. I will Promise to you." A tear dripped down her cheek. And another. And she knew in that instant she would never ask Dayamar to send her back to her home-world. She wanted to stay with Blayne—would do anything to stay. Anything. Even face Dayamar's demons.

He fastened the necklace around her neck and kissed her, stroking away the tears with his thumbs. "Don't cry." He enfolded her in his arms and drew her against his chest.

Her tears were for an ending and a new beginning. She would never return to her own world, never again visit her parents' and brothers' graves. But she would hold their memories in her heart and never let them go.

She sucked in one deep, shuddering breath and banished the tears, embracing the joy instead. "I am sorry."

"I was getting a bit soggy."