Seer's Hope (Chapter 17)

Seer's Hope

By Maree Anderson

Chapter Seventeen

Kunnandi elbowed Shikari in the side. "Who would've thought the old man had it in him?"

"Or that she would have let him get away with it."

"She's a feisty one. I think Blayne's in for a hard time tonight." Kunnandi smirked. "I'm sure our Panakeya is more than equal to whatever she throws at him. And no doubt it will all be resolved to their mutual satisfaction."

Shikari harrumphed at the unsubtle innuendo.

Kunnandi spotted the woman known as Maya slipping through the crowd thronging about the Promised couple. Her quiet word with Wisa had resulted in the goddess looking more startled than a goddess should be after a conversation with a human.

Interesting. Even more interesting, she was now headed his way.

Kunnandi grinned as he eyed the buxom blonde. The grin wavered as he noted her determined expression. He turned to Shikari to suggest they both make themselves scarce and—

"Not so fast, Exalted Ones. You all had a hand in uprooting that poor girl from her home and 'blessing' her with a Sehan's powers, did you not?" Hands on hips, Maya stared them down until Shikari nodded and Kunnandi shifted restlessly.

"And no doubt you're pleased she's Promised to Blayne, and pregnant even though she was supposed to be barren. Less chance she'll want to leave Dayamaria anytime soon, right? And I suppose you're thrilled that everything's going to plan." Her voice dripped irony.

Kunnandi opened his mouth to defend himself but Shikari's nudge made him think twice. He nodded instead.

"Because you're gods and therefore all-seeing and all-knowing blah, blah, blah, I won't bore you by telling you exactly how I feel about this whole business."

Shikari cleared his throat. Kunnandi discovered an intriguing mark on the floor.

"I may not be able to save poor Hope from whatever you've got planned for her, but I can do something. You will help me turn this impromptu Promising into a proper occasion. I'm aware Blayne didn't want a fuss, but right now I don't much care what he wants. This is a celebration for Hope—of her Promising, her acceptance as Second Sehan, and having a family of her own again. I've already spoken to Wisa and she agrees with me."

"Not that she had much of a choice I bet," Kunnandi muttered.

"Pardon me?"

"Nothing."

"That's what I thought. So here's what you two are going to do."

After delivering her instructions Maya sashayed off, well satisfied with her arrangements. Kunnandi mopped his brow and turned to his slack-jawed sibling. "I'd hate to think what tone she'd have used with us if we weren't her gods, and she didn't have the utmost reverence for us. Who's her life-partner again?"

"The one with the red hair. His name is Cayl."

"Hmm." Kunnandi scratched his chin. "I'd love to know how he's managed paired with a woman as determined to get her own way as that one. He might have some hints about how I can get around Wisa."

"I wouldn't bet on it."

~*~

As each small group of people left the hall, they found themselves at the gathering place. Remaining invisible, Kunnandi basked in their gawps and exclamations as he lit strategically placed torches to illuminate the area. He clicked his fingers. With small explosive sounds, trestle tables appeared along one side. "So, who's got a favorite food then?" he said. "Come on people, speak up. Our guests of honor will be here soon."