Chapter 4 - Swirling Feelings

Start from the beginning

"So Fräu, have any plans today?"

"I'm going to work," you respond flatly, crossing your arms behind your head you slide down further in the booth. The image disappearing entirely as the albino enters your vision.

"Really? It looks like you're just listening to music."

"I am, but if you wanted to take me somewhere you could have asked yesterday. I have Tuesday's and Thursday's off," you reply. You needed to try and apologize to Ludwig. You also needed to get on the whole confirming secret battle plans business.

"You aren't helping around the bar at all."

"There's only one customer."

"Well have fun, the awesome me needs to head out."

"You too," you reply nonchalantly. You see Gilbert make a move to head back to the apartment.

"The door is the other way," you say, speaking up. Gilbert gives you a sly smile.

"The awesome me forgot something."

"So I guess you're being unawesome," you retort. Gilbert is obviously annoyed by your side comment.

But instead of answering he disappears into the storage area back up to his apartment that he shared with Ludwig. Something was up. Pretending not to pay any attention when Gilbert finally came back down and left without a single word, you sat there, music blasting away a large smile starting to spread right across your face.

Today was your day.

"Y/N?"

"Hey, Ludwig." A stupid smile still on your face, eyes glued onto the entrance. He clears his throat and your eyes immediately flicks back to him. Pulling off your headphones, they rest on your shoulders as you wait for him to say something.

"Y/N-I was wondering if you would want to...want to..."

"No one's around so I guess I could take a break," you say, sparing him. "I heard there was going to be a celebration on Main Street in town today; you want to come with me?" You shut down your laptop, picking it up you gave him a say something look.

"Yes," he says, you smile brightly,

"Just let me put this away; I'll be right back down." Dashing away, you change into a pair of cargo pants with a nice shirt that you thought went perfectly with it. Adjusting the thin straps, you pulled a little at the frills on the bottom before sliding on a jacket that ended at your elbows to finish it off.

Setting down your computer, you tie your hair up and grab a book bag with a shoulder strap before running all the way back down.

"Back," you announce, he gives you a look but you're confident you had done just fine. You weren't going to dress for another, but it wouldn't hurt to make the other person know you might have put some thought into it.

"So..." You wrap your arm around his, shrugging off his blush while trying to push down the one on your face. You need to make today work out for you. Some information would be good. Something really important and maybe you could talk to Alfred. Matthew might be there when you call too.

"This way," you say, marching off, Ludwig not far behind. Well, you were dragging him.

"Y/N, wait a-"

"Did you just want to stay at the bar?" you ask. Ludwig looks away for you for a second his blush dying down. He shook his head.

"Okay then, the celebration it is then."

And he didn't bother to argue.

.

.

.

"So, you're the personification of Germany right?" you press. Ludwig and you have been spending a while at the celebration on Main Street. Ludwig seemed to have gotten comfortable and so have you. The question comes out before you could stop yourself, you didn't want to do this at all anymore. You just wanted to have fun.

But that wasn't the way your life or job worked.

"Is that what you do? Just study all day," he asks, a small smile on his face. You look up at the clear blue sky above you. With the celebration going on it was sort of easy to forget that there was a war going on. You don't mention how Gilbert had talked about the Berlin wall and he had been alive then.

"Yea, my brothers both went off to war. So I spent most of my days sitting around listening to music and watching the time pass by. But then one day I had a nightmare-" You check to see if he's paying attention, he is. "I decided that I was going to have to do my share. I didn't want to just sit around waiting for news. So I started working hard."

"Was that the nightmare where you-"

"Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't know I was actually clinging to someone that time."

"Did you see their caskets or something?"

"I saw officials; there were four to a casket. Everything in the entire house that I shared with them seemed to die. And then I fell apart. I want to be able to give them something after all they've done for me after our parents died." You pause allowing the information to sink in before you asked the question. "Is the war going to end soon?" Ludwig gives you a look as if wondering what to do.

"Something big's going to happen, I'm sure." You lean back on the bench the two of you were sharing. Eyes to the sky that was an amazing blue.

"Yeah, I just want this war to end soon."

"Y/N?"

"Hmmm?"

"Do you have someone else waiting for you? Is that why you're working so hard?"

"Nope, just my brothers." Ugh, this was going to be harder than you thought. No duh, that was going to be his answer. 'Something big's going to happen.'

"Are you okay Y/N?"

"Yeah, just tired. And talking so much didn't help."

Maybe if you snuck into their room...

"Well, would you like me to take you back?" he asks, standing up and offering you a hand.

"Yes please," you reply taking his hand. Misjudging how heavy you were he pulls you up with a little too much force. Landing on his chest your face starts to burn brightly. Instead of immediately letting you go he wraps his arms around your midsection.

"Ludwig..."

"Thank you very much Y/N, today was amazing."

"Okay," you mumble quietly. You both stand like that for some time before Ludwig finally lets you go.

"I hope you didn't-"

"No, that was really nice of you Ludwig. Thanks."

He shows you a small smile and a flow blown grin spreads across you face.

Okay, you were going to deny it. But it was too late now.

You think you have a crush on him.

On Ludwig.

Well... crap