Chapter 1 - This is How it Starts

Chapter 1

You had slept in again. Lifting your head up from your desk you realized you had been working all night. Waking up the computer you quickly save everything and eject the USB before wiping the computer again. You couldn't have it remembering anything. Of course, that made everything harder and if someone had enough time they might be able to find the backups. But you were going to destroy the computer after your job was finished so it didn't matter anyway.

Putting the USB inside its case, you hung it around your neck. On the case was a rose engraving. The United States country flower. Of course, you were in Germany and the rose could be interpreted in many ways, but to you, it was a symbol of your home. And you were far from it. Stuck in Germany during World War III as a spy.

Standing up you start to shuffle away the papers you had left out. Battle plans, large rumors, names of the patrons who attended the bar that was beneath your apartment. All important, all not meant for you to sleep on top of.

All outdated too. You sigh. You were going to have to find time to destroy them.

Putting them into a small safe under your desk next to your paper shredder and a box that held some other tools such as a powerful camera and binoculars, you hear your phone buzzing. Opening your closet you pull down a pair of jeans and a green t-shirt before picking up the phone.

"Hello," you say in German, you had to practice your ass off in order to get this job. You weren't planning on picking up the phone and screaming "SUP!" In English loud and clear. Even though no one else but your boss had your phone number...

Totally off topic and not even relevant...you really needed more sleep.

"Ah, good morning Y/N. Are you busy today?" Your boss asks. You check the clock sitting next to your laptop. No, you weren't late for anything. And last you checked you were off today which was why you had worked yourself to death last night.

"Is something the matter?" You say slowly, there is a loud sigh on your boss's end.

"I know that working at my bar is a part-time job for you, but I was wondering if you could help me out today."

"Are you downstairs right now?" You ask putting the phone on speaker so you could change out of your pajamas - it consisted of just a tank top and a pair of shorts that was slightly hidden because the tank top was so large - and switching it for a pair of jeans and a shirt.

"Ja, how does that matter? Anyways-"

"You do know I'm still upstairs right?" You ask picking the phone back up and turning off the speaker.

"But it's already ten, you're always up by seven and gone."

"Well, not today. I had a lot of work last night."

"Well, maybe I shouldn't bother to you."

"Why don't I just come downstairs and we can talk?" You reply, sliding your feet into a pair of leather boots. You open the door to you small apartment shutting and locking it behind you. You lived right above the bar. It gave you an easy excuse to work there and also allowed for you to show up anytime without much questioning.

Taking the stairs down two at a time, you come out in the storage area of the bar. The storage held most of the liquor and food. The kitchen was parallel to the storage area. In front of the both of them was the bar. Walking through the rows of items you come across another door, opening it you shade your eyes from the bright light from the overhead lamps.

"Y/N, thank you so much for coming down."

"I still have no idea what is going on," you mutter, jumping over the counter. Taking a seat on the counter you wait for your boss to explain. He's a tall, blonde who had been running this place for years. You heard he had two sons, but you've never seen them. According to him, one was an albino and the other was blonde like him. Not like that had helped much.

"Well, I hate to put this much pressure onto you but I've been wondering if you could help me out at the bar today."

"Isn't it a Sunday? I thought you were closed today, that's why no one else is here." You reply, referring to the other two people who worked here.

"Well, Y/N, you haven't heard? The German forces have managed to repel American and British forces from up near the North Sea." He said a large smile on his face.

"What!"

"Thanks to my two fine boys we managed to pull through."

"Yay..." You muttered sarcastically. Shit, Alfred was going to give you hell about this one. And you were so sure you had gotten all the details. You didn't even have to do much, it was sort of easy. German's were so sure they could never get drunk stupid.

"Anyway, this is why I would like your help. Today my son's and some of the other officers are coming here to celebrate the victory.

"Why couldn't you ask any of the other-?"

"You were the only one who I thought wouldn't have major plans."

'I have to plan out how the hell I'm going to deal with Alfred. Also, this means my report that was due in a week just got pushed up to be delivered ASAP.'

"Oh, okay. I guess I can start setting this place up. When are they arriving?'

"Oh, they'll be here for dinner. I just wanted to give you a heads up." You're already lifting one of the heavy bar stools off the counter. Letting it hit the ground with a small thud you shoot your boss a fake smile.

"Don't worry about it Mr. Beilschmidt," you say quietly continuing to take down chairs. You heard your boss walk away as the tears started to slip. You had failed. Damn it.