Trying Again?

Joshua Hong

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Their daughter burst out of the car, bubbling with excitement, and called out "Daddy!" as she dashed into Joshua's open arms. "Hello, my little princess," he greeted warmly, lifting her up in a tight embrace. "I've missed you," she murmured, clinging tightly to his neck. "I've missed you too," he replied softly, planting a gentle kiss on her head.

Suddenly, their daughter blurted out, "Daddy, mommy has a date!" YN's eyes widened in surprise at their daughter's revelation. "Oh?" Joshua smirked, his gaze shifting to YN. "Who's the lucky guy?" YN hesitated briefly before responding, "A coworker." Joshua raised an eyebrow playfully and guessed, "Ah, so a lawyer?" YN nodded, confirming his guess. Joshua chuckled, his eyes sparkling mischievously. "Well, well, well, seems like mommy has an admirer at work," he teased, earning a giggle from their daughter. YN blushed, feeling a mix of embarrassment and amusement at their playful exchange.

As their daughter squirmed in Joshua's embrace, he gently set her down on the floor. "Alright, princess, why don't you go watch some TV while mommy and I have a little chat?" he suggested, tousling her curls affectionately. Their daughter nodded eagerly, her excitement still palpable, and skipped off into the house, leaving Joshua and YN alone.

Taking a deep breath, YN attempted to collect her thoughts. She had hesitated to inform Joshua about her upcoming date, uncertain of his reaction. But with their daughter's inadvertent disclosure, the cat was out of the bag.

Joshua approached YN, his expression softening. "So," he began, prompting YN to playfully roll her eyes in anticipation of his response. "Did you fall in love over coffee in the break room, or is it something more magical?" he asked with a smile.

"Actually, that's a pretty accurate guess. Well, except for the fairies sprinkling dust everywhere," YN replied matter-of-factly.

"Oh, did I miss that part?" Joshua asked, smirking. "Yeah, it's a crucial detail," she joked. "Well, I don't want to hold you up, but let me give you some ground rules before you go," he sighed. "Ground rules?" YN responded with sass, placing a hand on her hip. "Of course," Joshua retorted. "I'm not 16," she laughed. "Shut it," he said, before continuing. "I expect you to come home at a decent hour, don't overindulge in alcohol because you're a lightweight, and do you have protection?" he asked.

"Joshua," YN exclaimed, shocked. "What? I'm just looking out for you," he said, raising his hands in surrender. "You, of all people, know I don't have sex or even kiss on the first date," she replied honestly. "Yeah, well, you never know. If things go well and he makes you feel comfortable enough, who knows what will happen? So, do you have it?" he asked sincerely. "Yes, I do," YN replied.

"Good. Just be safe, alright? Come back to us safe and sound," he said, opening his arms for her. "Okay," she said, embracing him. As she nestled into his embrace, she felt a surge of gratitude for having such a supportive person by her side.

Since their divorce, she and Joshua had made it their mission to stay friends for their daughters sake. But it was times like this that YN missed having him as her husband.

"Thank you," she whispered, her voice filled with emotion. Joshua held her tightly, his arms providing solace amidst her swirling emotions. "Of course. I just want you to be happy... even if it's not with me anymore," he murmured softly, his words comforting her soul.

In that moment, YN realized the depth of Joshua's love for her. With his unwavering support, she felt empowered to face whatever the evening held. With one final squeeze, he reminded her, "Remember what I said, young lady." "Thanks, Dad," she said sarcastically, making her way back to the car. "Call or text when you make it," he shouted. "I will," she replied, driving off.