How Did You Know?

Jeon Wonwoo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was something boggling the little mind of Youngjae as the day passed by. The more his mind wandered, the more curious he got. Getting up off the living room floor, which was covered in all his toys, he made his way into the kitchen where his dad was doing something work related on his laptop. Youngjae was too young to understand the specifics. Walking up to his dad he lightly pulled on his pant leg, and raised his arms up once he had his attention. Wonwoo's fond smile greeted him on the way up onto his lap and Youngjae had returned the gesture and made himself comfortable, before asking.

"Daddy?"

"Hmm?" Wonwoo hummed while his eyes still scanned the worlds in front of him.

Youngjae's eyes locked on Wonwoo, a bit tranced with the way the screen reflected off his glasses, "How did you know you loved mommy?" he asked, causing Wonwoo to turn his attention to him with a curious look on his face. "Oh? Why the sudden question" he smiled. "I just want to know; all my friends at school say that their parents love each other, and I wanted to know when did you love mommy?" Youngjae asked with a soft curious pout. "Well," Wonwoo spoke softly with a chuckle and closed his laptop giving Youngjae his undivided attention. "I always love Mommy."

"But when did you know?" Youngjae exaggerated. "Well, I've known since a very early age." Wonwoo settled back into the chair; "Do you remember your uncles Cheol, Hannie, Shua and everyone?" He asked. "Yes." He answered.

"Well, me and Mommy back in the day, were in a really really cool music group..."

"Seventeen!" Youngjae yelled. "Yes, Seventeen." He laughed and continued, "But before we got really big and famous, we weren't known for a while. And that baby was our training days." He explained; "Like practicing?" Youngjae questioned. "Yup."

"So around that time I was a teenager and so was Mommy. We were in a group together, and we all became best friends and one day, I found myself wanting to be around Mommy more than everyone else." he began "Why?" Youngjae asked.

"Well, because Mommy was interesting; she was funny, smart, beautiful and at the time I didn't really know what my feelings were. I thought they were normal feelings that friends would feel for each other. But one day I talked to your uncle Hoonie and he made me realize that my feelings may have been a little deeper for her than I thought. He gave me the idea to think about what happened when we were in the same room together. And through that time, I noticed that my heart would speed up when she laughed or smiled, or if she wasn't doing anything but sitting in the corner playing games on the tablet, her existence made my heart jump. I found myself staring at her sometimes, not in a weird way, but...

She was captivating. I always took the chance to notice the little things about her, how when she was having a hard time her eyebrows scrunched a little bit and she look like a little sad puppy, if something like food was really good, she'd make this kind of stinky face and that's how you know she really liked it, when she laughed her nose would scrunchy a little bit, whenever we were outside it seems like the sun was made for her the way it shine on her skin and she just basked in it, the way that when she laughs she'd hit anything in her arms reach... sometimes I was at arm's reach but I digress," he said causing Youngjae to let out a small laugh

"But one thing that I knew for sure was that she was someone that I want to spend the rest of my life with. I knew that because of the way that she was around your grandma, when they first met, it was like your grandma fell in love with her too. I had a few girlfriends before Mommy and your grandma never treated them the way that she treated her. She would always ask about her and send her little dishes to try and things like that, and she really carved out a spot in her heart just for her because even then she knew that my love for your mommy was deep and unexplainable.