4. Take your kid to work

Kazami Yuuya thought that that day was definitely a peculiar day. But having worked with his boss Furuya for a few years, he supposed he should have expected unexpected events.

The Zero Department was a small but important one. The core team only had about 10 people, who were also Furuya-san's direct subordinates (but only Kazami was the blond man's handler and was approved to be privy to secret information regarding said man, he proudly noted). Anyone outside of that didn't even know of Furuya-san's identity. Their offices were located in a separate building with a strict access policy. In the building, there was a room that they called "The Commons" just for the core team, which held desks for every one of them even though many of them had their own office. In the morning, they usually gathered there in case someone had something important to announce. That someone was usually Furuya-san or Kazami himself, who just usually repeated Furuya-san's words on his behalf when the man wasn't there to say it himself.

Speaking of Furuya-san, he was a private man. Well, maybe he was more open to Kazami, but he was pretty closed off to others. That's why they never thought the man would bring his kid to work.

They never thought they would live to the day they got to see the child.

But that's what happened on that peculiar day.

It was supposed to be a normal workday, and as usual, he arrived early and arrived at The Commons and waited with the others. They had all arrived except for their boss, Furuya-san. After about 15 minutes, he decided he would go back to his office to see if he could do something while waiting, but he had only gotten outside the door when he heard footsteps approaching.

Finally, he thought, turning to look for his boss.

But of course, he didn't see what he expected. Well, he didn't only see what he expected. There was his boss approaching, but in his arms was a toddler? The boy had his back turned to him so Kazami couldn't see his face. Nevertheless, why would Furuya-san bring a toddler here?

"Fu…Furuya-san? Why are you bringing a toddler here?" - he asked in a confused and surprised tone, successfully drawing the attention of some of his co-workers in the room.

Furuya-san quickly put his finger up to his lips to signal him to be silent, but it was too late.

"I'm not a kid!!" - the boy quickly shouted as angrily as a kid could get. That's when Kazami recognized the boy, someone whom he had met a few times. Was that who Furuya-san adopted? Or was the boy involved in a case?

Now, if hearing that a kid (of an extremely private man) was in the most private and important department of the PSB (where almost no one outside could get in) and then hearing said kid say that he wasn't a kid was not surprising, then Kazami didn't know what was.

Needless to say, the whole team was out in the hallway in seconds. They stared and cooed at the kid. Unlike him, they had never met the boy before.
"Who's that?"

"He's so cute!"

"Is that your son, Furuya-san?"

Furuya-san looked displeased, but he walked quickly over to Kazami and thrust a thin file into his hands.

"Make copies and hand these out. I'll be back in a moment"

Then he left, leaving them standing there confused and excited and awkward.

Kazami did as he was told, and surprise! They were rules of how to handle his boss' kid. So that boy's really Furuya-san's adopted son.

Rei had arrived to work late that day, and Rei had never been late before, he would either come on time or not come at all. But that day, he hadn't expected Shinichi to put up such a fuss about letting Rei help him take a bath. The boy fell asleep on the way home the night before, so Akai and he had put him straight to bed without a shower or a bath. That morning, Shinichi still wasn't allowed to stand on his ankle, so Rei offered his help. Needless to say, it didn't go well. That's why they were late. And to make things worse, when he was heading straight to his office as planned, Kazami had accidentally drawn everyone's attention to Rei and Conan. Rei didn't plan to keep Conan a secret forever, but he wanted to keep things in his control and introduce the boy properly. Well, nothing went as planned when it concerned Edogawa Conan.