Heart of Chaos

"I have waited for this opportunity for more than half a century, to repeat to you once again my vow of eternal fidelity and everlasting love." - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I woke up to the sound of the kitchen coming to life.

"Aye, lass! Good morning," Soap said, sitting on a chair at the kitchen counter, his face stuffed with food.

Ghost was standing nearby, sipping his tea while using his cell phone.

"Angela! Come have breakfast," Soap called out.

"I gotta go wash my face," I said, yawning. I went to Ghost's bedroom and used his bathroom. After freshening up, I returned to the kitchen to eat breakfast.

"Laswell called. She wants us to get to the base quick," Soap said between bites.

"We should hurry now," I replied.

I finished my toast and jam and the tea Ghost made. It was delicious.

"Soap, you and Angela take my car. I need to take my Ducati, so I'll be riding that," Ghost said.

"Hey! I'll come with you. I love riding bikes," I said.

"Okay. Then Soap will take the car. Make it quick, Soap. We're getting late," Ghost said.

Soap stood up. "Let me load your luggage in the car. LT, give me your car keys."

While Soap took our luggage downstairs, Ghost and I stepped outside. He locked the door, and we made our way to the parking lot where he took his bike out. He even had a matching skull helmet to go with it.

"Sit tight," he told me. I sat behind him, holding on tightly.

We reached the street where Soap was waiting in the car. "Let's roll," Ghost gestured to him. Soap started the engine and went ahead, with us following closely behind.

It was a sunny morning. The cold wind whipped through my long hair as I clutched Ghost tightly. The ride felt surreal, passing through fields and watching cattle grazing peacefully.

"Hey, don't sleep on me, huh!" Ghost said.

"I'm not gonna sleep. I'm just enjoying the views," I replied.

"Good," he said.

Suddenly, I felt a sense of unease. "Ghost! I think we're being followed," I said.

A black jeep was gaining on us. The jeep came closer until it was beside us. The window rolled down, and I recognized the faces.

It was the same terrorists from the mall-the two who had probably escaped before the special forces arrived.

They pointed a gun toward us.

"Fucking hell," Ghost muttered.

The one on the passenger seat fired, and Ghost dodged just in time. He accelerated the bike to full speed, overtaking them. But they were relentless, still after us and firing shots.

Ghost had his armor on, while I had none.

"Motherfuckers! They were tracking us," Ghost cursed.

Soap had nearly vanished from sight with the car. We were on our own now.

"You have no vest on, Angela," Ghost said, his voice tense.

"You trust me?" I asked, gripping him tighter.

"With my life," he replied, glancing back at me briefly.

"Good. Then do what you need to do. I'll hold on," I said, trying to steady my breathing as the gunshots continued to ring out behind us.