4. I WILL GO TO LUNAR VALLEYS IN MY MIND (SEQUEL TO SECRET GARDENS)

pairing: tamlin x archeron!fem!reader; azriel x archeron!sister

summary: to azriel, you are the most brilliant star shining in the night sky.

word count: 7,954

warnings?: angst with a happy ending, pining, not proofread

Azriel stared at the cream invitation. It had landed in front of him just moments earlier, but he had already read it a few dozen times. The words were seared into his mind. You are cordially invited to the mating ceremony of High Lord Tamlin and High Lady Y/N. High Lady. You were Spring's High Lady. There was no way, he knew, that you could, would, ever return to Velaris when you had a court to run. He had been invited to your coronation, too, months ago. But in the year since you left for Spring, he never visited. Despite Feyre and Rhys's insistence that you missed him, and Lucien's chastising him for never going, and even Elain's quiet disapproval, he knew better than to make the journey. He meant what he said to Rhys all that time ago.

If he went to Spring, he would bring you straight back home.

Because he had built you a home. Azriel knew how you never felt truly at home in any of Rhys's homes—not the Town House, not the House of Wind, and not the River House. The House of Wind was the most comfortable to you, because it offered the most solitary, but it was not your home. One night, you had told him of your dream home. A quaint cottage in the woods, close enough to the city to go when you pleased but far enough to still be calm. A nice personal library, a cozy kitchen. A big fireplace that you could curl up with a nice book. Azriel committed those details to memory and spent many months making your dream home come a reality. He intended for it to be a mating gift, for when the bond finally snapped for you.

It only collected dust.

He sat there now, at the dining table he had spent weeks picking out. His shadows flitted about, hissing at him to go to Spring. To get you before you were tied to Tamlin forever. Azriel would not. He couldn't force you to sacrifice your happiness for his sake. You had to be happy. That was why you never returned to Velaris. You were happy in perfect Spring with your perfect mate. To bring you back here would only taint you.

"You are not going," Rhysand said. Azriel didn't look up from the invitation to know his High Lord had winnowed into the room. Rhys had found out about the house a few weeks after you left, concerned when Azriel hadn't reported for any missions.

"I haven't gone there in a year. Why would I go now?"

"I thought the same when I was going to let Feyre live her life with Tamlin. And then she called down the bond, and I was whisking her away without any thought of the consequences." Rhysand leaned over the table, pushing down on the invitation so that Azriel would look up at him. "She is happy with him. She looks alive when she is with him."

"And she looked dead with me?"

It was a cheap shot, and Azriel knew it. But he couldn't shake the sinking feeling that he wasn't right for you. That the Mother had made a mistake. There were so many poorly-matched mates, and he was certain this was the case when the bond snapped for him. If you were content with Tamlin, then that meant you didn't feel the same hole in your soul that Azriel did.