CHAPTER 18

UNHINGED LOVE
CHAPTER 18

MBULELO MZIMELA

I just finished listening to Hlengi's interview, and I must say, she nailed it. I am so proud of her. Of how she handled herself from beginning to the end. Even with that relationship question, I loved her answer. I am just thrilled to be her man. I wish I was there to see it all, but unfortunately I was stuck back here. I had to take Nomfundo to Melomed so that she could see an OB/GYN. I was sitting outside during the consultation but I was quickly called back in. This situation with Nomfundo made me realize that I love my child and I want nothing bad to happen to him or her. I am wrong for keeping the truth from Hlengiwe but I have to tell her sooner or later. I don't want to keep disappearing and lying to her about this because one day, she will catch me and she will think I have some kind of a relationship with Nomfundo while that's not the truth.

"So the baby's condition is stable, under circumstances. You just need to stop stressing Miss Nomfundo. It's not good for the child. You know that very well." The doctor states and he turns to look at me. "As the father, I expect you to be there for her and don't do anything that will put her under a lot of stress. If you don't want to lose your son, treat each other right. And take your supplements. That's all from me. See you same time next month." He closes the file in front of him indicating that he is done but I am still stuck on the son part. I am having a son?

"Did you say son?" I ask and the doctor looks at me.
"Yes, you're having a boy. Did I spoil the surprise for you?" he questions. I look at Nomfundo who is just looking at the file in the doctor's hands.
"Did you know about the gender?" I poke her and she shakes her head.
"No. I'm just as surprised as you." She replies and then she looks at the doctor. "So that means I am cleared? Just have to take it easy and all that?" the doctor nods. "Okay. Thank you for everything, doctor." She takes an envelope in the table and walks out. I also thank the doctor and then follow her.

"And then? What's up? Why don't you look relieved or a bit excited that the baby is fine?" I ask and she scoffs.
"If you were a present baby daddy, none of this would have happened. I wouldn't have been so stressed about anything. But you are so self centered, you don't care about anybody in your life except for your precious chef. I see how you post her, Mbu, as if she is the only important thing in your life. Well, newsflash, she is not the woman carrying your first evidence of fertility. I can't catch a breath. If it's not you rubbing that bitch on my face, it's my friends laughing at me for the same shit or my family telling me that I am a disappointment for falling pregnant at a time like this. Where I have nothing in my name. Not even a stable job. So congratulations, Mbulelo. For being the Centre of my stress." I am shocked by everything she is saying. I don't know how I can express my love for my woman without her thinking I'm rubbing it on her face. I take a deep breath. I need to find a solution for this and fast.

"I am sorry, Nomfundo. But I am not going to love my woman any less just because of the baby. You do know that we are not getting back together, right?"
She laughs. "You are unbelievable. Wow. I can't deal with this right now." She rushed out of the hospital doors and walks to the parking lot. I open my car using the remote key and head to the Café. I'm pretty sure she is hungry, so I purchase two burger meals, drinks, a cake slice and some candy. Whole waiting for my order, I dial Hlengi's number. I just wanna put her at ease so that she doesn't worry too much. She answers almost immediately.

"Mbulelo." Ow, she does not sound happy to hear from me.
"Baby, I know I deserve the cold shoulder." I start off.
"You don't say." She responds in a sarcastic way and I sigh.
"Firstly, I wanna apologize for not being there for you on such a special day. I am the one who volunteered to drive you there but I ended up disappointing you. I'm sorry. The situation here at work was severe and intense. I promise I will tell you all about it when you get back." I swear I will tell her the whole truth. I don't want to keep lying to her. I need to be there for my child and I don't want it to seem like I'm cheating if I am taking care of Nomfundo emotionally.

"Okay. Fine."
"I am also sorry about not warning you with regards to my father. He was the only person I could think of to drive you. Plus he was already headed to Durban, so I thought I could kill two birds with one stone."
"And you didn't care how uncomfortable it would make me feel like to meet your father so abruptly without you introducing us? All this seems normal to you?" she questions. Okay. I'm in deep shit. I just hope things will get better when she's back.

"I am sorry, my love. I didn't mean to make you anxious. I will personally come and get you later today."
"You don't have to. You still tending to the emergency, right?" I persuade her until she agrees. We conclude the call and I take my order before heading to the car. I find Nomfundo already seated on the passenger seat.

"This is for you." I place the food on her lap and she rolls her eyes but I can see that she is angry. "I know we are never going to be together, but I want to be there for my son. Can we put our differences aside and create a good life for him?" I ask and she sighs.

×××

NARRATED

Melisizwe could see that Hlengi's excitement was dying down, especially after the call she got from his son. He wanted to cheer her up since this was a big day for her but he also didn't wanna impose. So he parked outside the restaurant and killed the engine.

"We don't have to go in, Hlengiwe. I can drive us to my house and order you some food while you wait for Mbulelo." He suggested to put her at ease and Hlengiwe sighed.
"No. Let's go in. I have been meaning to visit this place." She said with a smile and opened the door. She got out of the car and Melisizwe also got out. They were at Dukkah Restaurant and Bar. A very elite eatery in Morningside Florida Road. Relationship issues aside, Hlengiwe was excited to dine here. At the door they were met by a hostess who led them to a table and they sat down. Hlengiwe couldn't stop snapping at the inside of the restaurant. She was very impressed by the interior and just the atmosphere.

"So you're a fan of this place?" Melisizwe asked with a smile on his face and Hlengiwe blushed. She put down her phone and let her eyes do the exploring.
"I am loving everything about this place so far. I hope the food doesn't disappoint the reviews I have seen on the net about it are impressive. Maybe I might get a chance to meet the chef." She answered honestly and Melisizwe nodded. A waiter came to them and greeted them before handing them the menus. "These dishes are impressive. Very bold of them to make unique dishes that you wouldn't find everywhere. How I wish I can travel the world, eat as many dishes as I want before coming back to incorporate that into my own restaurant."

"All that is possible only if you believe in yourself. The fact that you dreamed it and now you are speaking of it means you are speaking it into existence." Melisizwe said and Hle nodded with a smile.
"You are very wise, Mr. Mzimela."
Melisizwe groaned a little. "Please call me Melisizwe or Sizwe. If you call me Mr. Mzimela it's like you are speaking to your boss or something."
Hlengiwe chuckled. "But I'm your future daughter in law. I don't feel comfortable calling you by your name, sir." He rolled his eyes and Hlengiwe laughed. "How about I call you Mnguni, then?" she suggested and Melisizwe smiled.
"Not bad." The waiter came back to take their first orders. "I will have chicken croquettes and apple juice please." He ordered and Hle smiled.
"Not bad." She mumbled and the ordered for herself. "Can I have the Korean Pork Belly Bites and a mimosa?" the waiter noted down their orders and walked away. "I thought you would go for the most obvious choice in the menu." She jabbed and Melisizwe laughed.
"Having a daughter who is a foodie can make you very open minded when it comes to different foods. You don't know the places she has taken me to."

Hle chuckled. "I think I might have an idea."
They continued chatting until the waiter brought their food. The conversation was just flowing, like they have known each other for ages. When they were done with desert, the chef came out from the kitchen just to greet them and Hle was so excited to meet him. She even asked for a picture with him.

"Congratulations on opening your restaurant by the way. Having the courage to put your business out there for criticism is always the worst but we get used to it in our industry." I am very flattered that he knows about Healthy Eats.
"Thank you so much."
"Next time when I come to Richards Bay, I will definitely check it out. Anyways, thank you for stopping by. Mzimela, always a pleasure seeing you." He shook Melisizwe's hand before going back to the kitchen.

Hle turned and gave him a look. "You know the chef?"
"We play golf together." He answered with a simple shrug and Hle chuckled in disbelief. Why didn't he say he knew the chef from the get go? Men. And they called women complicated.

They left the place with the African twist selection platter. Hle drank her medicine as soon as she slid into the car and she dozed off before they could even reach Melisizwe's place.