CHAPTER 17

We listen to music the entire drive. He has told me bits about him. Just confirmed that he has three kids and that he is divorced. He did not reveal his age and I did not ask. That’s not something you ask an elder, unless you weren’t raised right. He is not one to force conversation. Mbulelo hadn’t introduced us properly, so I think delving into each other’s personal information is too much. Speaking about that one, he hasn’t said anything to me. Even now. I am not an irrational person. I always assess situations before getting angry but his silence is troubling me. Is he that busy? He was able to call his father but couldn’t even send me a text. Like come on. But today is not about him. I put him at the back of my mind s I walk into Ukhozi FMs studios. Melisizwe didn’t mind coming in with me but I would have preferred him staying in the car. Him being here might send the wrong message. ‘My son was going to go in with you for support. So I am only doing just that.’ That’s what he said when I tried to reason with him. Yes, typical stubborn Zulu man.

I am on the Dankie 12 to 3 programme. Which means I will be interviewed by Zimdollar and King Sfiso. I am looking forward to meeting both of them. I have only chatted to Zimiphi a few times on the phone regarding the interview. She is very impressed about the way my business just bloomed in less than a month after opening it. An assistant leads us to one of the studios and when we enter, we find Zimdollar and King Sfiso already waiting.

“Woman of the hour.” King Sfiso beams as he comes to hug me. “How are you doing, Chef Hle?”
“I am great and I am excited to be here.” Zimdollar also comes to hug me and I sit down. They prep me and give me headphones. Melisizwe sits behind me. The song playing comes to an end and Zimdollar introduces me.

“Our lovely listeners, we had promised you earlier that we will be joined by the chef that is trending these days on social media and for the right reasons. The woman who started Healthy Eats, a restaurant for gym freaks.” I laugh. “Chef Hle, good afternoon and welcome to Ukhozi FM. How are you feeling today?”

“Thank you for the warm welcome. I feel so happy and blessed to be here. It’s a dream come true on its own to actually be inside Ukhozi FM. Like hello, I am on the radio. Where my haters at?” they all laugh.

“Now tell us about Chef Hle? Who is she? Where does she come from and how did she get here?” King Sfiso asks. I am going to lie about where I come from. I don’t want people knowing about any of that shit.
“I am Hlengiwe Mabuyakhulu. 27 years of age. I am a certified nutritionist and a chef. I am originally from Fairbreeze Mine and I have been staying at Esikhawini since I finished varsity.”
“Why food though?” Zimdollar asks.
“Many things will come and go. Different trends and all, but one thing that will never go out of fashion is food. It was there in the beginning of times. God literally created Healthy Eats for Adam and Eve.” Everyone laughs. “So I wanted to do something that I knew would make an impact in people’s lives and will never go away. This is a legacy that even my great-great-great grandchild will continue on. Also, I have always loved being in a kitchen. But what made me choose to become someone who focuses on healthy eating is a teacher I had in primary school. She used to eat healthy foods all the time, even some which people viewed as disgusting. She rarely got sick and she was always active. I was inspired about her and I was like ‘I want more people to live like her, but what can I do differently to make sure that everyone enjoys rabbit food?’ grew up with those thoughts until Healthy Eats was formed.”

“All that food talk just made me hungry. I hope you brought some for us.” King Sfiso comments and I laugh. “So you did study to become a healthy chef, but how did you get where you are today?”
“I started preparing and selling food in varsity, even though it was prohibited. Whenever I had time, I would try out new things, explore with food. Some students would ask me to cater their intimate gatherings and that gave me exposure. When I graduated, I already had money saved up to buy the equipment I needed that time. I always posted my work and never got tired of sharing it. I officially registered my business a year after I graduated. From cooking at my kitchen to renting out a container to hiring people to work with me, a lot happened and I did face a lot of set backs and difficulties but one think that made me overcome them was the bigger picture. I had set life goals for myself and I wasn’t going to stop till I achieved them.”

“I love it. Now about the new hot spot in Richards Bay, Healthy Eats, how did that happen and how did you become so famous within weeks of opening?” Zimdollar asks.

I smile. “After 5 years of pushing non-stop, my team and I were lucky to get a chance to present for a panel of investors. They were impressed with our idea and granted us funding. We will forever be grateful to them. And with regards to exposure, we already had two food trucks operating before opening our shop at Boardwalk, so we already had a lot of customers. Opening at a mall gave us more and we are grateful to the people of King Cetshwayo District and other districts that support us.”

“You are such a well spoken young lady. We are truly honoured to have you here with us today. Now, we know you have people to thank for being with you throughout your whole journey. Who are those people?” King Sfiso asks.
“Ow God. Firstly, the Almighty God. My team, Nqobile, Lineo, Mitchy and Palesa. Those ladies are my pillars of strength and I couldn’t have done all this without them. I would also like to thank the investors. They trusted us with their hard earned money. I would like to thank my customers, both new and old. Their support is the reason why the business is still standing. I would love to thank the people who share our work on social media. That does not go unnoticed and we appreciate you. I also wanna thank my employees, they are the best. I wanna thank my suppliers, especially u Bab Shezi. Everyone who have single handily contributed to the success of Healthy Eats, I love and appreciate you.”

“That is so heartfelt. Now to a young lady or man out there listening and wishing to be in your position one day, what would you say to them?” Zimdollar asks.
“Just as our king once said ‘nibezwe kodwa ningabalaleli’ (hear them but don’t listen to them).” I state and they all laugh. “In all honesty, you are part of something way bigger. Your dreams are valid, no matter how insignificant it may seem to others. They only matter to you. Nobody understands your goals better than you. So just calm down, take a deep breath and then fight until you get to where you wanna get. Also remember, own pace, own lane. Don’t measure your success with other people’s success. That will pull you down.”

“You hear that, ladies and gentlemen, own pace, own lane. Don’t rush and take your time. Now let’s hear what you listeners have to say about this.” Zimdollar states. She reads a few questions from the listeners. I answer them with all honesty. I love interacting with people. “Now this last one is from Delani_K. He is asking ‘ngabe intokazi isithathiwe yini noma sinethuba lokubeka amabili amathathu? (is the lady taken or do we still have a change to ask her out?)” this one makes me laugh.

“Well my father’s kraal and left ring finger are both empty, so all is fair.” Everyone laughs. I can’t announce a relationship on national radio unless I am really certain about it.
“Love that answer. My friend once said ‘according to Home Affairs, I’m single. So all is fair in love and war.’” King Sfiso comments and we laugh. “Now a question on everyone’s lips in Durban, when are we getting our very own healthy heaven?”
I smile. “All in good time. And I wouldn’t wanna announce expansion prematurely, but yeah. We are coming to Durban soon.”

“Wonderful. That’s all from Chef Hle. If you have any questions or feedback, you can get a hold of her on her social media accounts. On Instagram, Twitter and TikTok it’s Chef_Hle. And on Facebook it’s Hlengiwe Chef Hle Mabuyakhulu. And the restaurant, just search Healthy Eats and it will be the first thing that pops up.” Zimdollar closes off.
“Thank you so much for taking time off and coming to chat with us. We wish you nothing but success in your business. #blackexcellence.” King Sfiso adds and I smile. We take a few pictures. I say my farewells and we hug before I walk out of the studio.

“That was really amazing.” Melisizwe compliments as we head to the car.
I smile. “Thank you. Now I am really famished. Since you’re Durbanite, plug me in. What does a girl have to do to get delicious food here?”
He chuckles. “I know just the place.”