CHAPTER 14

“Boss, the food vlogger is here.” Gugu notifies me as soon as I enter my restaurant. I frown and look at her.
“Who is the food vlogger now?” I know most famous people I’m my world. People that are worth knowing. So maybe I know this one. Unless they are mean and rude. I write off people like that in my mind.

“Zamadonda M.” Ohh. I know that girl. She always visits new spots in Durban and vlog about the food, customer service and overall experience she got on that visit. So far I have nothing to worry about because my staff is very hospitable and the food we serve is out of this world.

“Okay. Where is she?” Gugu points at the setting we prepared for content. Nothing much. Just the name of the restaurant, a green backdrop and a few flowers here and there. Of course the lighting is impeccable, this is so that you can get perfect quality pictures. There is even a work iPhone that’s always ready for that. One of the waiters is taking photos of Zamadonda. “I will take it from here. Please inform everyone to behave normally and not kiss Zamadonda’s ass. When she is about to leave, I will give you an opportunity to take photos with her for your own content, okay?”

She does a mini squeal. “Yes boss.”
Zamadonda walks over to her table and gets seated. I head over there and smile at her. “Hey and welcome to Healthy Eats. I am Hlengiwe.”

She looks at me and smiles widely. “OMG, you’re Chef Hle?”
“That’s my social media handle, so I guess I am Chef Hle.” She laughs.
“Such an honour to meet you in person. Your restaurant is spectacular. I have heard and seen people posting about it and I thought I should pop by since I’m in town.”

“Well thank you for stopping by. We hope that our service satisfies you.”
“I hope so too.”
Look “IF you need anything, don’t hesitate to ask.” I turn and head to the kitchen. I find my staff working while dancing and singing. The atmosphere is so healthy. I can’t help but take a video of them. I tape a short one and then put my phone away. “How are things?” I ask when the song is done.

“We are cruising nicely this side.” Pamela responds. I chuckle.
“Y’all need extra hands?”
“No. You should be preparing for your meeting with The old man. He will be here in 20 minutes, I think.” Nqobile responds. Fuck. I forgot that I had a meeting with our supplier.
“Maybe the pressure is getting too much for him. Anyways, I will prepare for that just now. Continue doing what you’re doing.” Nqo rolls her eyes and I chuckle.

I head to my office and sit down on the two seater couch. The encounter I had with Mbulelo’s ex still troubles me. He did tell me not to worry about anything, but I am worried. I am not like Nqobile. I’m not a fighter. I am just a genius. I have never had to fight off girls in my life before. I can say that I am what people would call a cheese girl. I don’t have a single violent bone in my body. So what the fuck would I do if I were to meet Nomfundo while I’m alone? What if she attacks me or worse, goes for the ankle? Well let’s just hope she fears Mbulelo enough not to try anything like that. Hopefully.

Someone knocks at my door and one of the waiters walk in with the old man. Babu Shezi who is a farm owner. He owns the farm that supplies us with fresh fruits and vegetables daily. We have been working with him ever since Healthy Eats was established. He understood our vision from the get go and welcomed us like his own children. His farm is just outside Empangeni in a village called Emacekane. It is very huge and he does not only supply us but other supermarkets.

“Baba, unjani?” I stand up and go shake his hand. You cannot great an elder while sitting down. You have to show some respect.
“I’m good, Hlengiwe. Wow. You have done well for yourself. I mean, look at this place. I can’t believe it. Congratulations.”
I smile. “Thank you, Shezi. Let’s sit over here.” I lead him to the couch and we both sit down. “How has life been?”

“Good. Really good. The business has been booming. The livestock is multiplying and I couldn’t be more blessed.”
“That’s is great. I am happy for you. So you drove more than 20 kilometres just to see your favourite customer?”

He laughs. “Mainly that. And I also wanted to see your restaurant. My wife has shown me pictures but I wanted to see it in person. So I decided to take her out. She is out front right now currently ordering everything and making me bankrupt.”

I laugh. “She could never, even if she tried.”
“Anyways, you do know that I have a few farms across KwaZulu Natal and they bring in a lot of money in. But I no longer want the Emacekane farm. It has been causing a lot of drama in my family. I don’t know why people think they will inherit my farms if I die because all that wealth will go to my wife and kids. Anyways, ever since I made my younger brother the farm manager, there has been a lot of incidents that may be harmful to the functioning of the business. I found out that he steals a lot of money and buys cheap products to maintain the crops just so he can save some money for himself. So I have ultimately decided to sell the farm.”

Oww. Now I have to start looking for another supplier? At such a busy time? But I don’t wanna trouble Shezi with my problems. He is dealing with a lot on his plate. He doesn’t need me adding more problems. “I hear you and I understand you, baba. I guess it’s time for us to start looking for a new supplier.”

He smiles. “You know my farm is worth more than 12 million rands with the huge land that it has and the amount of revenue it generates annually but I am offering you it for 4 million rands.”

I think I did not hear that correctly. He wants to sell me the farm? At such a cheap price? By why? “Baba you won’t be making any profit from that sale. Why practically gift me the farm? That’s a huge bargain. Why?”

“You remind me of a younger version of myself. You pushed your dream and turned it into a reality. Nothing stopped you, not even fails and accidents. I believe that the farm will be in good hands to you. You will make me proud and also create new legacy for your future descendants. You don’t have to pay in full for it. Just a deposit and pay the rest as time goes by. But the ownership of the farm will belong to you and you will have power to change anything in the farm, and that includes firing old staff and hiring new people who are eager to work and who will stay loyal to you and never take advantage.”

“Wow. I am speechless.” I really don’t know what to say. I never dreamed of owning a farm before. Maybe it crossed my mind subconsciously but not too deep. “This is a great opportunity baba and I would be a fool to let it pass. Tell you what, I am going to consult with my team and then set up another meeting with you where we will go through everything. But I am really excited for this and thank you so much for considering me. It means a lot.” I hug him and he laughs. This is going to be such an amazing opportunity and I know my team won’t let it pass. Is it too early to buy khaki clothes?