CHAPTER SIXTY SEVEN

Nancy and Judy had gone to work on the next part of their plan, leaving Dustin, Lucas, and Steve to read all of the newspaper articles they could find about Victor Creel and the murders of his family

Lucas, who currently sat on a box next to the television, could only watch Steve carefully as he paced around the room.

"Okay, be honest. Uh... You guys understand any of this?" he finally asked, still pacing as he stared at the article in his hand.

"No," Lucas said, shaking his head.

"Pretty straightforward," Dustin said.

"Oh, straightforward, really?" Steve said sarcastically, giving him an annoyed look.

Lucas sat beside Dustin on the couch in the basement, reading the Weekly Watcher that Judy and Nancy copied from the library's microfiche. Steve also read a copy as he paced. Max sat at the desk in a corner with her back to everyone.

"What's confusing to you?" Dustin asked, his eyebrows furrowing together. Before Steve could answer her, however, Dustin started to explain things anyway. "So far, everyone Vecna has cursed has died, except for this old Victor Creel dude Nancy found. He's the only known survivor. If anyone knows how to beat this curse, it's him."

"Yeah, that's assuming he was cursed, Henderson, which we don't even know." He rubbed his forehead with his hand. "How can Vecna have existed back in the '50s? It just doesn't make sense."

"Far as we know, Eleven didn't create the Upside Down. She opened a gate to it. The Upside Down has probably been around for thousands of years. Millions. I wouldn't be surprised if it predated the dinosaurs."

"Okay, okay, but if a gate didn't exist in the '50s, how did Vecna get through?" Lucas asked.

"Oh, and how's he getting through now?" Steve asked, pointing to Dustin.

"And why now?"

"And why then? Just pops out in the '50s, kills one family, and he's like, 'hey, I'm good.' And poof, he just disappears. Just... gone? Only to return thirty years later and start killing some random teens?" He looked back down at the article, his eyebrows still furrowed together. "No, I don't buy it. You know what, Henderson, a little humility now and then, it wouldn't hurt you."

Steve sat down in the chair across from the couch, crossing his legs and giving Dustin and Lucas "the look" that he normally gave them whenever he was annoyed with them.

"Sorry," Dustin said sarcastically. "Any idea what she's writing?"

Dustin looked over at Max, whispering as if not to disturb her.

Steve looked up, readjusting himself so he could turn his head to look at her, too.

"Did she sleep?" Dustin asked, still looking to Max.