CHAPTER FIFTY FIVE

Judy and Steve entered different stalls, right next to each other, both of them not hesitating to puke their popcorn filled guts out

Judy leaned against the wall in agony and relief once she was finished. Meanwhile, Steve sat in the stall next to her, the wall divider cutting him off from being able to see anything but her shoes.

"The ceiling stopped spinning for me," Judy finally said. "Is it still spinning for you?"

"Holy shit," Steve replied. "No. You think we puked it all up?"

"Maybe. Ask me something," Judy said. Then her voice shifted into a bad Russian accent. "Interrogate me."

Steve chuckled from the other side of the wall. "Okay. Interrogate you. Sure. Um... when was the last time you... peed your pants?"

"Today," Judy answered.

He laughed in shock, "What?"

"When the Russian doctor took out that bone saw," Judy explained. "It was just a little though. Alright, my turn."

"Okay. Hit me."

"Have you... ever been in love?"

"Yep. Nancy," he spoke very quietly, feeling guilty about saying her name.

Nancy Wheeler had been Steve's first serious girlfriend from high school and though he never confessed it, his first love. Judy had known how heartbroken he must've been all because she knew how much he had loved her. As call as their last conversation was, the scar was deep. They broke up after Nancy had essentially cheated on him with Jonathan Byers. But it wasn't like Judy didn't know he still cared about Nancy. It was actually blatantly obvious to her.

Judy took a moment of silence and sadness before asking cautiously, "Are you still in love with her?"

Steve shook his head, but he realized she couldn't see him. "No."

"Why not?" Judy asked, surprised by his answer.

"I think it's because I found someone who's a little bit better for me," Steve said.

Judy's breath hitched in her throat. This was it.

It had always only seemed like a fake fantasy. The way she would find him looking at her all the time. The faint touches he'd lace across her fingers and arms while they worked. When he called her at night to let her know he made it home safely.

It felt too good to be true.

Why would Steve Harrington go out of his way to be with Judy Hopper in whatever way unless he just wanted to be friends?

Why had she convinced herself for so long that that was what it was?
Just him wanting to be friends.

Steve's chuckles pulled her out of her downward spiral. "It's crazy. Ever since Dustin got home, he's been saying, 'You know, you gotta find your Suzie. You gotta find your Suzie.' This girl, you know, the one that I like, it's somebody that I... didn't even talk to in school really. I don't even know why, cause when I did start talking to her I knew I should've been hanging out with her the whole time. First of all, she's hilarious. She's so funny. I feel like, this summer, I have laughed harder than I have laughed in a really long time. And she's smart, way smarter than me. And she's protective over the people she cares about, and she cares a lot. She's honestly unlike anyone I've ever even met before. I even applied for this stupid job because I hated not being able to spend time with her."