| 7 |

"Aisa lagta hain kyun teri aankhein jaise,
Aankhon mein meri reh gayi,
Kabhi pehle maine, naa suni ho,
aise baatein keh gayi..."

*

"Roohi? What happened?" Suddenly, two gentle hands patted her back as she tried to control her breathing. Her fear of heights was hitting her at the worst moment. Of all the times it could happen, it chose now, when she was finally getting to see her beloved lord. She couldn't trust those creatures to take her uphill. Could she walk? Saloni's tense voice and Kriti didi's soothing palms on her back were all she tried to focus on at that moment.

"Aarohi, you haven't had anything to eat since morning. Do you feel weak?" Kriti didi asked, staring at her with concern as Aarohi took a long, deep breath to calm her nerves.

She shook her head. She was more than capable of waiting a few more hours. Besides, food was the last thing on her mind. "Didi? I don't think," she breathed, taking one final look at the coffee-coloured, foul-looking creature. Her eyes met Vedant's momentarily as he glanced down at her with knitted eyebrows from the horse's back. "I don't think I can ride these," she admitted nervously, her palm brushing her forehead to wipe away the beads of sweat that had formed due to her fear.

"Roohi, don't be afraid," Saloni whispered, her usually boisterous voice now gentle and full of concern. "I'm here, and so are the others," she reassured, reaching for Roohi's trembling hands. Aarohi managed a weak smile, swallowing down her fear. "I know," she murmured, "but..." Her voice trailed off. How could she explain that she didn't want to ride the horse? That she'd be content walking if she got the chance.

Vedant dismounted the horse, striding toward them with purpose. "Are you considering walking, Rooh?" he asked, his voice calm, yet she could feel the touch of disbelief. Aarohi chewed her lip, hesitant to voice her thoughts. The boys would surely tease her. True, she could walk, but her empty stomach and weariness made it seem daunting. Kriti didi joined them, her tone was incredulous. "You're not seriously thinking of walking, Aarohi?" Aarohi remained silent, cheeks aflame with embarrassment and fear.

Aarohi was rooted to her spot as if the soles of her shoes were glued to the rugged ground. Suddenly, soft, small fingers circled her hand and gently pulled her forward. She looked up to meet Saloni's gleaming eyes. "Come, Roohi, I will show you how we can ride it," Saloni giggled, her childish laugh putting a smile on Aarohi's otherwise panicked face.

Saloni rushed towards the horse she had first chosen. Taking a deep breath, she raised her left leg while the young male in charge of the horse held her waist slightly. She hauled herself onto its back, her right leg swinging over to the other side. "See!" she exclaimed loudly. "It is e-easy," her voice wobbled as the horse shifted slightly, her body leaning to the right.

Kriti didi lightly placed her hand on Aarohi's shoulder for a moment, urging her to try once. Aarohi could feel the weight of the encouragement but remained frozen. "Roohi-" Saloni's voice was abruptly cut off by a shriek as the horse shifted again, this time rather harshly. Saloni's body wobbled precariously, turning to an awkward angle, her grip on the small handle attached to the saddle faltering.

"Bhaiyya!" she yelled, panic rising in her voice as the horse began to walk. Saloni's body swayed even more, her legs tightening around the horse in a desperate attempt to stay balanced. "Bhaiyya! It's moving on its own!" she cried out again, her voice piercing the air, becoming thinner and more desperate, teetering on the edge of tears. The sight of Saloni's fear, her knuckles white from gripping the reins too tightly and her eyes wide with alarm, deepened Aarohi's own trepidation.