013.

Yoana Thomas

"I mean.. he's cool" I stated talking to Ari about how close me and Mal have been getting in the past day or two as she accompanied me at work as I rung up a customer.

"$2.18" I mumbled grabbing the $5 from her, counting her change twice and handing her the receipt along with the bag that contained her items.

"Don't get attached to him" She said bluntly, giving me a little stern look.

I scanned her face trying to understand her more but I got nothing. I simply nodded in response and begin counting my register so I can do my chartings for the day.

"I mean I can't tell you what to do because you're grown but be careful.. You can't trust everybody" She said mumbling the last part.

I hummed in response, feeling the energy become awkward. The words she stated replayed in my head, 'Don't get attached to him'. I mean I wasn't trying to.. Beside Ky and Mama K he was one of the ones that seem genuine as well as them. I'm trying to keep my distance because I haven't been guided right and I know I'll get attached very easily and I'm scared to be let down and I might relapse.. No telling how I'll react again to being let down by someone who I'm letting into my life.

I rubbed my tongue across the inside of my gums, going into deep thought about Mal. I'm overthinking? I questioned myself. Maybe I'm overthinking it and trying to move too fast.. or maybe I shouldn't listen to anybody and just live for me and see what I want to do. I shook myself out of my thoughts, looking down at my bracelets Mama K bought me recently.

"You okay?" Ari asked causing me to look in her direction.

A shiny, heart shaped pendant similar to mines caught my eye. I admired it for a moment before shaking my thoughts away once again, "I'm okay".

"How about we go on a nail date later?" She offered before speaking again, "What time you get off?"

"7:30" I said in relief, thankful that we were closing early today. Mama K didn't give a specific reason she just wanted the store closed before 8:30.

"Ok what do you say? Hm? My treat" She said smiling at me.

I shrugged, nodding in agreement. I don't remember the last time I even got my nails or toes did- let alone my hair. I've been styling my natural hair for a little over a while now.

"Wassam baby you fine baby you mine baby" Ky rapped walking through the door, startling me.

I smacked my lips, sending him a mug.

"Not you coming out yo shell li' baby" Mal chuckled walking through the door catching my mug I sent to Ky.

"Li' baby?" Ari said in a tone of confusion.

"What the fuckkkkkkk" Ky instigated looking between me and Mal.

"Y'all can kill whatever y'all thinking we just cool ainna Yoyo?"