𝐁𝐨𝐧𝐮𝐬 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫

ᴍᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ
Adira Hawking

He didn't tell me where we were going. He even told the pilot not to say a word of our destination. I was more than scared, especially since our children were with us.

But he promised me it was all figured out and every inch of where we'd go would be cleared. But it was still scary, I hadn't left Portugal in years and I missed New York sometimes.

I couldn't believe my children would never experience the cities of the states. Boston was my childhood home but New York made its way into my heart with such a short time.

I've been here five years, almost six. We haven't left the country once, it was safe for us there. So the sudden change in our lives was weird. When he told me he had a surprise and then it turned out to be a trip outside of the Algarve. I was more than curious.

We'd been on this plane for seven hours. I slept for most of it until Lily woke me up as she was up and bored. So now I was reading to her.

But I got a little distracted at points from the sight in front of me. Rhys held our two boys in his arms as they all slept. I couldn't believe that Drew was two, he looked so much like Rhys. I knew as time went on and the bigger moments started to happen in our babies lives he was sad.

His parents missed out on being grandparents. Though he wasn't his dad's biggest fan, we both agreed on naming our boy Andros. But we called him Andrew and then it morphed to just Drew. It seemed to fit him better.

But he more recently spoke of his mother and father a lot. Telling our children and me old stories about them. He loved his mother which was evident and I couldn't even imagine mourning her and me alone. He lost everything in one day and couldn't do anything about it.

Dwelling wouldn't help, it didn't matter. Because we made here where we live in peace with three children. It was a home well deserved and a house that was no longer quiet, rather more loud.

My brother Noah recently married and thankfully the small and quaint ceremony took place at our home. He claimed that 'it wouldn't be my wedding without my sister'. We were able to find things around my circumstances.

But now I just felt bad that not even five months later I was leaving the country for a vacation. I wouldn't even go to Lisbon or Porto, we'd just remain in the area.

"Princess" Looking up Rhys smirks at me as he's trapped in place by our boys. His eyes glance down to a now sleeping Lily.

"What can I say, Mo Willems has a gift," I place down the book gently beside me as we exchange glances once more.

"Meet me in the bathroom in twenty seconds?" He teased, we both knew that wasn't happening. Lily was a very light sleeper and this man was out of luck.

"You wish" I whisper and turn to Lily as my thumb grazed her black hair. Holding her tight against my chest I felt relaxed but as I looked up he just stared at me.

That same stupid smirk, god I could kill him.

Well maybe not kill him. I already did that once by accident.

"When we get to where we are going, you won't be able to walk after tonight. How about that?" This man, even in front of our sleeping children. He gave no fucks as it seemed. But he cared, well if they were awake.