Part 18

His lucky charm

Charles Leclerc's heart sank as he glanced at the leaderboard flashing P19. It was his home race weekend in Monaco, and so far, luck hadn't been on his side. It never was when in Monaco for Charles. Even p12 started to feel like a distant dream.

The Ferrari racing car that he drove was a tractor, lately Charles was only scoring in the bottom half of the points, which was unusual for the talented driver. And the pressure was building up as Charles struggled to get used to the car whilst his teammate Carlos Sainz was beating him every race by miles. The comparison was becoming too much, just once he wanted to beat his teammate, just once he wanted to prove his skills in the car to the prestigious Ferrari.

But it wasn't just the race that weighed on him. Thoughts of his girlfriend, thousands of miles away, added to his distress. He needed her voice, her reassurance, more than ever. With trembling fingers, he dialed her number, hoping for solace.

Yet, his calls went unanswered, his texts left unread. Panic seized him. She never ignored him, especially not on race weekends. He bombarded her with messages, each one more frantic than the last, fearing the worst.

Just as despair threatened to engulf him, his driver's room door creaked open. Charles braced himself to shoo away any intruders, but then he heard her voice. "I've missed you," she said softly, stepping into the room.

Relief washed over him in waves. She had flown all the way from New York, just to be by his side. His heart swelled with gratitude and love. In that moment, the weight of the race, the pressure to perform, lifted from his shoulders.

The next day, as Charles lined up on the grid, he felt a newfound determination coursing through his veins. With his girlfriend cheering him on from the stands, he had a secret weapon, his lucky charm.

As the lights went out, Charles surged forward, his driving infused with passion and purpose. Lap after lap, he carved his way through the pack, each overtake fueling his adrenaline. From starting at P20, he clawed his way to P10, crossing the finish line with a triumphant roar.

In the jubilant chaos of the podium celebrations, Charles searched for his girlfriend, his eyes finding her radiant smile amidst the crowd. He pulled her into a tight embrace, whispering, "You're my lucky charm."

Together, they basked in the glory of victory, knowing that no matter the outcome on the track, they'd be alright.