17||

We made our way to the bridge, anticipating the arrival of Finn and Clarke. Octavia was with them, the one who had arranged this meeting.

I glanced over at Lincoln, hoping this plan would unfold smoothly, knowing Anya's potential for ruthlessness far exceeded that of the Sky People.

As we approached the bridge, Lincoln led the way, hastening to meet Octavia as she ran toward him, enveloping him in a tight embrace.

Clarke exchanged a look with Lincoln, a hint of apprehension in her eyes, while Finn reached out to hold her hand, intertwining their fingers.

After a tense wait, Anya arrived, riding on horseback with her warriors flanking her.

"Hey, we said no weapons," Finn protested, his expression furious. "I was told there wouldn't be," Lincoln replied calmly.

Clarke, stationed at the far end of the bridge, observed the scene. "It's too late now," she remarked.

As Clarke started to move towards Anya, Finn moved to follow, but Lincoln intervened, blocking his path. "She goes alone," he insisted.

As Clarke and Anya drew closer to each other on the bridge, tension hung heavy in the air, palpable and suffocating. I watched, my heart pounding, knowing that the outcome of this meeting could shape the fate of our people.

Anya dismounted her horse, her gaze unwavering as we approached Clarke with measured steps. Clarke stood her ground, her posture rigid with strength of character, but I could see the flicker of uncertainty in her eyes.

Finn, beside Lincoln, shifted impatiently, his fingers clenched into fists at his sides. His anger simmered just beneath the surface, a reflection of the mounting tension between our two groups.

Anya and I stopped a few paces away from Clarke, her warriors standing at the ready behind her. The silence stretched between them, thick with unspoken threats and the weight of weeks of conflict.

Finally, Anya spoke, her voice steady but tinged with steel. "Your name is Clarke?" she questioned, her gaze locked with Clarke's.

Clarke nods "Yes."

Anya's lips curled into a smirk, a hint of disdain in her eyes. "I'm Anya." she stated, her voice dripping with skepticism. "I think we got off to a rough start..."

Clarke's jaw tightened, but she held her ground, refusing to back down. "But we want to find a way to live together, in peace." she countered. "I understand."

Anya regarded Clarke for a long moment, her gaze piercing and calculating. "You started a war that you don't know how to end," she accused, her voice laced with bitterness.

Clarke's eyes narrowed, her tone eager for communication. "What? No. We didn't start anything," she insisted. "Your people attacked us for no reason."

"No reason?" Anya countered, her voice rising with indignation. "The missiles you launched burnt a village to the ground."

Clarke's expression faltered, her gaze flickering with uncertainty. "The flares? No. That was a signal meant for our families. We had no idea-"

Anya's tone softened slightly, though her suspicion remained evident. "You're invaders." she replied sternly. "Your ship landed in our territory."

Clarke's shoulders sagged, a heavy weight settling over her. "We didn't know anyone was here." she admitted, her voice tinged with regret. "We thought the ground was uninhabited."

Anya regarded her with a hint of skepticism. "You knew we were here when you sent an armed raiding party to capture one of us and torture him." she conceded. "These are all acts of war."

Clarke nodded, will power flickering in her eyes. "I see your point." she vowed. "That's why we need to put an end to all of this."

Anya's gaze softened marginally, a glimmer of hope shining through her steely demeanor. "Lincoln said there are more of you coming down. Warriors."

"The guard, yes." Clarke nods.

"But also farmers, doctors, engineers." she explains. "We can help each other, but not if we're at war."

Anya's resolve hardened. "Can you promise that these new arrivals won't attack us, that they'll respect the terms that you and I agree on?" she asserted.

"I promise I will do everything I can to convince them to honor the terms that we set."

Anya regarded her for a long moment, searching Clarke's eyes for any sign of deception. "Why would I agree to an alliance that your people can break the moment they get here?"

Clarke met Anya's gaze squarely, her expression earnest. "If you fire the first shot those people coming down won't bother negotiating." she replied. "Our technology.. they will wipe you out."

Anya remained silent for a moment, weighing Clarke's words carefully. Finally, she nodded, a hint of begrudging respect in her eyes. "They wouldn't be the first to try." she conceded.

Suddenly, a voice pierced the air, calling out urgently for Clarke to flee. Gunshots reverberated through the forest, sending shockwaves of panic through our group.

Anya swiftly drew a blade from her wristband, poised to strike at Clarke, but before she could, a bullet found its mark, sending her staggering back.

The gunfire was aimed at our warriors hidden in the trees, catching us off guard. Lincoln and I had been oblivious to their presence. As I sprinted alongside Anya, I stole a quick glance back, meeting Lincoln's gaze, an arrow struck into his arm.

I knew Lincoln would bear the brunt of the consequences for this, and I cursed myself for ever brokering a deal with Anya. My faith in the possibility of peace had been shattered in an instant.

...............................................................................

Hours earlier

"Juno, wait," Anya's voice rang out, halting my steps. I paused, turning back to face her, a knot of tension tightening in my chest as Lincoln disappeared into the distance to inform Octavia of our meeting point.

Anya's gaze held mine, her expression unreadable yet stern. "If this plan goes awry," she began, her voice low and measured, "your brother will have to face the consequences. He's already taken a risky step, one that could be seen as a betrayal by his own people."

I nodded solemnly, understanding the weight of her words. "I know," I replied, my voice heavy with apprehension. "But we're running out of options, Anya. We have to try."

Anya's gaze softened slightly, a flicker of empathy in her eyes. "I understand," she conceded. "But be prepared for the consequences, Juno. They won't be easy to face."

With a final nod, I turned and resumed my path, the weight of Anya's warning heavy on my mind as I ventured deeper into the unknown.