Piolet

Chapter 1: Shadows of the Past

I clung to the high branches of a tall pine, my breath steady and silent. Below, my brother Lincoln moved through the underbrush with the silent precision of a predator.

I had been tracking him for hours, ever since he slipped away from our camp at dawn. My heart pounded in my chest, a mix of excitement and fear.

Seven years had passed since the acid fog took our parents, and in that time, Lincoln had become a stranger to me, distant and brooding.

Suddenly, Lincoln stopped. His head tilted slightly, and my breath caught in my throat. Had he sensed me? I pressed myself closer to the trunk of the tree, praying he wouldn't see me. But it was too late.

In a blur of motion, Lincoln spun around, drawing his bow and loosing an arrow that thudded into the bark inches from my head.

"Get down here, June bug," he called, his voice a mix of amusement and annoyance.

I sighed and climbed down, landing lightly on the forest floor. "You caught me."

Lincoln walked towards me, a rare smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "I knew you were following me since I left my hut. You're a terrible hunter."

I scowled, more at his condescension than the truth of his words. "I haven't heard you speak in years, and now you're cracking jokes?"

He shrugged, the smile fading. "Juno, I-" He was cut off by a deep rumble in the distance, the sound of an explosion echoing through the trees.

My hand went instinctively to my spear, ready to investigate, but Lincoln grabbed my arm. "Where do you think you're going? It could be dangerous."

I glared up at him, yanking my arm free. "Don't you you think it's a little late to start playing big brother?" Without another word, I turned and stalked off towards the sound, leaving him standing there with a mixture of frustration and worry on his face.

After a grueling trek, I reached the crash site. My eyes widened as I saw the massive, smoking hulk of a space rocket and a hundred or so people emerging from it.

They were clearly not from around here, their clothes and equipment strange and unfamiliar. My heart pounded. Who were these people?

Before I could ponder further, Lincoln dropped down from a nearby tree, landing silently beside me. "Why are you here? I thought I made it clear that I wanted nothing to do with you," I snapped, irritation flaring.

Lincoln frowned, his eyes softening. "I'm trying to protect you, June bug."

I turned away, exasperated. "You can't just pretend everything is okay," I muttered, starting back towards our clan. "But you're right about one thing, they could be dangerous. We need to know who they are before we approach them."

We walked in tense silence, the memory of our parents hanging between us like a specter.

Lincoln finally broke the silence, his voice low and pained. "I'm sorry, Juno. I'm trying my best. I just wish Mom and Dad were still here. I'm not good at parenting."

I gave him a small, sad smile. "You don't have to be a parent, Linc. Just be my brother."

When we reached our clan, the atmosphere was thick with unease. Whispers of the strange newcomers and the explosion spread like wildfire. My stomach twisted with worry.

The village nearest to the crash site housed many of our healers. We couldn't afford more losses.

Indra, a formidable warrior who had taken us in, greeted me with a stern look. "Don't even think about it. You are not ready to fight, Juno. You are too weak."

I bit back a retort. Indra was like a mother to me, tough and unyielding. "I understand," I said quietly, though inside I burned with frustration.

Indra's eyes softened slightly. "You are forbidden to go near those people. Do you hear me?"

I nodded, my thoughts already on Lincoln. He would never listen. He was probably already on his way back to the crash site. I sighed, knowing I couldn't follow, bound by my promise to Indra.

I watched the sky, the shadows growing longer as night approached, and wondered what fate had in store for us all.