Chapter 38 | Liquid courage

The drive back was fairly quick as your place would be a 10 minute walk from the boy's.

Chan took out most of the groceries as you took your expensive purchases and the chicken. You flung the keys against the fob to open your apartment door. He set all the groceries aside as you hurried in to put your bags in your room. Hoping he doesn't question much. You quickly changed into comfy pants and a hoodie.

"Aww someone got nostalgic?" Chan smiled at the sight of your coffee table. A stack of their signed albums were spread across it, along with a photo album.

You came back cheeks flushed. You forgot to tidy the area as you weren't expecting guests. Chan happily flipped through the albums while you put your groceries away, you heard his little squeals and wows.

You started to make the soup and put the chicken in the oven to reheat, pouring yourself a glass of water and sighed. Today had been a long day, maybe you should open some wine. You contemplated with the bottle in your fridge door, stalled by reading the label for a bit.

"Wine with fried chicken?" You felt Chan's arms snake around your waist.

You hummed in response, not sure if it's the right decision as you had slight dejavú from the combination of you two and alcohol.

"We can have a glass?" He gently kissed your neck, tracing along the back of your ear. This sent shivered down your body, you noticed the photo album in his hand, a finger between a certain page.

"I think this is my favourite." He showed you a photo of the two of you. Very young looking Chan with blonde and pink hair holding a small bouquet of flowers and you in a fancy dress next to him.

"We look so young." You giggled at his hair colour which he still wasn't sure why he chose that back then. He flipped through the whole album while you placed the food in bowls and a plate to share.

You took the chance to quickly bring the food out to the dining table. He followed you along, knowing that you're tired and want your bed soon.

"Just as good." He did a little dance after taking a sip of the broth.

You grinned at the hungry Australian as you munched on some chicken, picking up cubes of radish in between bites. You didn't realise how much you missed quality time until you're at it. His silence told you how hungry he was, helping himself to more soup in the kitchen. You were daydreaming about maybe one day, this will be your everyday life. Going grocery shopping, sharing regular meals, reminiscing past memories with the man of your dreams. You knew that would be too easy, so you drank some wine. You met his eyes mid sip.

"Yes?" You looked at him through your glass.

"You're miles away." He pouted as he picked a wing.

"I'm right here." You drank again.

"I wish I could read your mind." He took some radish.

"I'm daydreaming..." He let you trail, his crunching sounds filled the room.

"about us, about if this will become our daily lives. One day." You swirled the contents of your glass, for some reason, you're avoiding his gaze. Maybe his answer frightened you, maybe the reality of his could only be left as a daydream.

All you heard was ringing silence. Even his rapid crunches were now gone.

You took another sip again, finishing your glass entirely.

"I've not thought about it before." Chan confessed.

You felt disappointment yet understanding. He is literally too busy to think about beyond work as is. You shouldn't be too surprised but then again, who wouldn't?