Chapter 81

Dear Readers,

While writing this chapter my heart sank. Many hearts will be broken after this chapter. However, when we write a story, we follow a storyboard and move forward accordingly. This is just a part of story, even though it is very heartbreaking.

Love
NB

=====••••• CHAPTER 81 •••••=====

Karan was at his office when his phone rang. Glancing at the screen, he saw his father-in-law's number flashing. He promptly answered the call.

"Good morning, Sir," he greeted.

"Good morning, Karan. First of all, don't call me 'Sir.' You're my son-in-law. Call me Appa, Papa, or whatever you're comfortable with, but not 'Sir,'" Shankar responded.

"Papa works for me," Karan replied, a subtle smile tugging at his lips.

"So, Karan, I called because Appa needs to see you. It's urgent," Shankar said, his tone turning somber.

"Okay, we'll come later this evening..." Karan began, but Shankar interrupted.

"Not 'we,' Karan. Just you," he corrected. "Appa wants to talk to you alone. He specifically asked for you, not Tripura, and requested that you keep this meeting private from her." His voice was more serious now, making Karan suspect that something was amiss.

"Is everything all right?" Karan asked, his voice filled with concern.

"You'll find out once you get here. Please come as soon as possible," Shankar replied. "See you at home, Karan."

Karan couldn't identify the problem, but he sensed its importance and urgency. He called Atul to review the day's schedule. With only a few less critical cases remaining, which his assistants could handle, he decided to head to his in-laws' house.

As he was wrapping up for the day and about to leave, his phone rang again—this time, it was his wife calling. "Damn!" he muttered. "What timing!" Karan had no choice but to answer the call.

"Hi," he said, walking out of his cabin.

"When are you coming home? I was thinking we could have a family dinner out somewhere nice. I can book a table if you confirm," Tripura asked as soon as he picked up.

"Tripura, I have to meet a client right now. I'm not sure if I'll make it, but I'll try. Why don't you take Maa and Trisha along and send me the location? I'll join you as soon as I'm free." Karan tried to sound casual, hoping not to raise Tripura's suspicions. When someone lies to a loved one, a bead of sweat often forms as a symbol of regret.

"But you're not sure you'll join us!" Tripura said, disappointment evident in her voice. "How can it be a family dinner without you?"

"I'll try my best, I promise. Please don't cancel it. You've put a lot of thought into this. Go ahead for me, and I'll do everything I can to be there," Karan urged. To his surprise, she agreed.

"Okay, I'll wait for you," Tripura replied, and Karan could hear the smile in her voice.

~~~       ~~~