Chapter One Hundred Twenty Three - Facing The Mirror

Razer opens his eyes and finds himself in a green night-like spiritual plane with stars above him. The last thing remembering was jumping to save Ruby, joining her as they plunged into the abyss. 

Razer: Where....where am I? 

As Razer surveyed his surroundings, he found himself to be completely alone. Despite this, Razer began searching for Ruby. As Razer searched for Ruby, a doorway soon appears before him. On the other side was Ruby. Razer walked over to the doorway and places his hand on it. Ruby's voice was heard.

Ruby: It's all...so...heavy...It's the only thing I can feel anymore... and it never, ever goes away. The feeling of not being....enough.

Seeing Ruby like this broke Razer's heart. He tried to go through the doorway, but was unable to. In a desperate attempt to reach out to Ruby, Razer calls her name.

Razer: Ruby! RUBY!

No response was heard. It was as if Ruby couldn't hear Razer. Razer began pounding on the doorway in an attempt to get Ruby's attention, but  As the doorway vanished, Razer was overcome with guilt over what happened to Ruby. When Razer got up, he found himself looking into his own dark past. He watched as several visions of himself commits various atrocities in the name of the Red Lanterns. As Razer looked upon his past, the former Red Lantern was overcome with guilt, remembering the terrible truth that brought him to the Red Lantern Corps. Suddenly, Razer found himself back on Volkerg. When he turned around, he saw the late Ilana standing before him. 

Razer: Ilana....

Without hesitation, Razer ran and hugged Ilana. The two shared a warm hug. After the hug, Ilana caressed Razer's face. 

Ilana: You have endured so much, my love. 

Razer: I...I know this is a fantasy. An illusion meant to bring me pain. The memories hurt, but I do not mind. It means I get to see you again....even if it's for one more moment. The things I've done.....

Ilana: You lost your way for a long time, but you found your way again. 

Razer: I thought I did. When I left the Red Lantern Corps and found my way to Remnant, I....I thought I was about to find the peace and solace I craved. But the rage still burns in my heart. And with the truth about what happened to you, I....I do not know if it will ever go away. If I will ever find peace. If I deserve it....

As Razer said this, Ilana hugged Razer. 

Ilana: You cannot punish yourself forever, Razer. You have held on to your pain and anger for far too long. It's time to let it go. 

Razer: Is that even possible? Can I truly let go of all that anger? Can I really just...walk away from all the evil that I've done? The pain that I've caused?

Ilana: I know you can, Razer. You have already done so much good in spite of everything that has happened to you. This world needs teachers and doctors and builders, not more soldiers. 

Razer remembered the words Ilana spoke. It was what she said in response to Razer wanting to join the Militia to battle against the warlords. As those words echoed in his mind, Razer turned to Ilana. 

Razer: You....you're right. You have always been right. If...if only I had listened to you that day. Perhaps....perhaps things would have been different. 

Ilana: All will be well, my love. 

As Ilana said that, those words struck a chord within Razer. Despite it being an illusion, Razer knew deep down that the words spoken here were what his late wife would have said to him if she was here. Razer looked down on his Ring, lamenting for his past for a moment. As the vision of Ilana faded, thunder was heard as Razer found himself standing before an illusion of Atrocitus. 

Atrocitus: There's nowhere you can hide, Razer. Put as much distance between you and the truth as you want, it changes nothing. Pretend to be everything that you are not: hero, savior, husband, comrade...but there is one unavoidable truth that you will never escape: you cannot change. No matter what you try to do, the rage will always burn within you. It will always be a part of you. You...will always be....a monster.

As the vision of Atrocitus said this, Razer looked down on his Red Lantern Ring. For the longest time, Razer had always lashed out on those he deemed responsible for his woes. The Warlords of Volkerg, the Red Lanterns, Salem and her cabal and many others. But it was in that moment that Razer accepted the truth that he had always known: that he was the one responsible for what he had become. He had allowed himself to be consumed by his rage to become a Red Lantern. And with that Razer took a deep breath.

Razer: I know.....

Razer paused as he looked at the vision of Atrocitus. But instead of rage in his eyes, he looked at the vision of Razer with determination.

Razer: But I am your monster no longer. 

Razer walked past the vision of Atrocitus. With that, Razer found the strength to keep going. Despite all that he has endured, Razer would not give up. He would continue facing whatever trials the Tree had for him. He would also put his faith in Ruby, confident that she too would endure the trials the Tree had in store for her. Everything went white as Razer's trial within the Tree continued.