𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 24 - 𝑾𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝑬𝒍𝒔𝒆

"Okay, let's get the other car in. We'll park 'em at the West entry of the yard." Rick instructed as they drove the vehicles in from the road. Iris backed the truck up on the side of the gate, careful not to drive over any walker's they'd left on the ground.

"Good. Our vehicles out there look like a giant 'vacancy' sign." Daryl remarked.

"After that, we need to load up these corpses so we can burn 'em."

"Gonna be a long day." T-Dog grumbled.

"Where's Glenn and Maggie? We could use some help." Carol stated. Iris walked over, rolling her neck. Those prison mattresses were terrible. She'd rather sleep on the ground.

"Up in the guard tower." Daryl replied.

"Guard tower?" Rick asked, putting his hands on his hips. "They were just up there last night."

"Glenn! Maggie!" Daryl yelled across the field. Iris could see their silhouettes as the two of them stood up, and Glenn shouldered the door to the balcony open, shirtless, still buttoning up his pants.

"Hey, what's up, guys?" He called back. Iris whistled loudly, earning a hearty laugh from Rick and T-Dog.

"You coming?" Daryl asked impatiently.

"What?" Glenn asked. The rest of them burst out laughing, grinning to themselves. Carol had to cover her mouth as she smiled.

"You coming?" Daryl asked again, smirking. "C'mon, we could use a hand."

"Yeah, we'll be right down." Glenn replied. Iris shook her head, turning around as they walked back to the gate.

"Hey, Rick." T-Dog called, stopping them in their tracks. Smiles faded as they turned, seeing Axel and Oscar walking across the courtyard toward the field. Rick started storming toward them, Daryl and Iris following quickly.

"That's close enough." Rick hissed as they stopped about six feet away. "We had an agreement."

"Please, mister. We know that." Axel replied quietly. Glenn and Maggie came out from the guard tower behind them. "We made a deal. But you gotta understand... we can't live in that place another minute, you follow me? All the bodies— people we knew. Blood, brains everywhere. There's ghosts."

"Why don't you move the bodies out?" Daryl asked.

"You should be burning them." T-Dog stated.

"We tried. We did."

"The fence is down on the far side of the prison." Oscar explained. "Every time we drag a body out, those things just line up. We've been just dropping a body and running back inside."

"Look, we had nothing to do with Tomas and Andrew. Nothing. You trying to prove a point, you proved it, bro." Axel assured. "We'll do whatever it takes to be part of your group, just please, please... don't make us live in that place."

"Our deal is not negotiable." Rick said sternly. Iris pursed her lips. "You either live in your cell block or you leave."

"I told you this was a waste of time." Oscar muttered. "They ain't no different than the pricks who shot up our boys. You know how many friends corpses we had to drag out this week? Just threw 'em out, like. These were good guys. Good guys who had our backs against the really bad dudes in the joint, like Tomas and Andrew. Now we've all made mistakes to get in here, chief. And I'm not gonna pretend to be a saint, but believe me. We've paid our due— enough that we would rather hit that road than go back into that shit-hole."

Rick turned to get one glance from Daryl, who shook his head. They decided to lock Axel and Oscar up in between the front gates. Axel muttered small complaints, but they were safe at least. T-Dog argued for them to join in.