1. Sick and Tired

PRESENT TIME

TARA

"Are you even listening to me?!" He barked for the third time, the vein on his neck pulsing as he turned to the back seat.

Predictably, Nicky didn't even raise her head to acknowledge his presence. I wasn't even sure whether she was actually listening to music with her headphones. It was more than likely that she was pretending to just not to talk to her dad.

"Nicky!" Lukas called, taking off her headphones.

"What!" She shouted, her blue eyes mirroring the same anger and frustration as I'd witnessed many times over the past year.

"I'm talking to you!" Lukas yelled back, his whole body turned to the backseat, probably ready for one of his tirades on how she was supposed to respect his authority. I agreed on that, of course. But he seriously couldn't expect that much respect after what he did, what she saw.

"And I don't care!" Nicky bit back, grabbing her backpack from the seat.

As I watched them start their umpteenth angry stare contest, I wondered how Lukas couldn't see where he was going wrong. She was his exact copy. Not just physically – she had his eyes, his nose, his smile – but character-wise. They were made out of the same stubbornly hot-headed mold. Him yelling at her did nothing but fire up the exact same traits that she'd taken from him.

"Lukas ..." I called, not wanting to make a scene in front of everyone. Especially not since this was Nicky's first day here. I understood his anger, she'd gotten expelled from two schools in one month. But this was not the time nor the place for yet another one of their arguments.

"Nicole Marie Bennet," Lukas spelled, his tone lower but sharper, pointing a finger at our daughter, "you either learn manners or-"

"Or what!" She yelled, leaning in to get in his face. "What, huh?!"

"Nicky ..." I called, exasperated. Lately she just did all she could to get under her dad's skin. And it was really easy. He was on edge, she was on edge ... I did my best to play referee, but I'd lie if I said I didn't harbor my own frustrations.

Lukas' jaw clenched, Nicky's jaw clenched, their blue eyes became mere slits as they stared at each other. It was like an endless curse. Larry had problems with his father, Lukas had problems with Larry, Nicky had problems with Lukas. Bennet children seemed bound to have daddy issues. Or at least the eldest did. Gloria and Zach doted on their father, instead. Probably because they were too little to know.

I couldn't fully blame Nicky for her anger. Not when I harbored the very same sentiment deep down. I hadn't forgiven him, not just yet, and I wasn't sure whether I would any time soon.

"Nicky, grab your things and go." I told her as gently as I could, not even turning around. My 15-year-old daughter didn't move an inch, her death stare still aimed at her father. "Now, Nicky." I said more sternly, which gained me her attention.

Scowling, she got out of the car, not even bothering to say bye or anything. I wish I could say this was just her rebellious phase, and maybe part of it was, but a lot of it had much different causes. And while most of her attitude was reserved for her dad, I did get my fair share of hate, too.

"This isn't over, Nicole!" Lukas called after her, his tone uselessly menacing. She didn't bother, she knew his threats were empty and she didn't respect him enough to listen. Not anymore. He just didn't understand that.

Once the door was closed behind her, and she started walking into the school building, I gripped the steering wheel, sensing the storm loom over my head. I wasn't in the mood for another argument. Actually, I was tired of it all.