Chapter 32

By
Brynn Morgan

Copyright © 2023 by – Brynn Morgan – All Rights Reserved.
It is not legal to reproduce, duplicate, or transmit any part of this document in either electronic means or printed format. Recording of this publication is strictly prohibited.

Chapter 32

The air was thick with excitement about what that night would bring. Lainie left with Bella as soon as she got home and took her to the Barnes and Noble in town to buy some new books. She had packed a bag for Bella to stay overnight with her friend from the hospital. Davis and Emily were alone at the house. He had walked out to check on the horses, but when he returned home, he saw Lainie leave with Bella. He had not seen Emily go with them, so he knew she was there alone.

Davis went inside, and Emily was on the phone with someone, sitting at the island. "Were you able to find out anything?" she asked. Davis came up behind her and ran his fingers down the length of her slim arms. She shivered and held her hand over the receiver."It's Hillary," she whispered to him. He sat down beside her, and she put it on speakerphone.

"Well," Hillary said softly. "I spoke with my brother, and he said that Daddy used to keep a ledger of Hastings employees in the executive desk in the library. There should be a record of everyone that has worked there through the years. You may find something there," she finished.

Emily straightened up in her seat."That is a good idea."

Hillary paused."Have y'all been back in the house?"

"That is another reason I wanted to contact you," Emily said. "We are going there tonight, and a medium will perform a seance."

Hillary was extremely quiet and then sighed."Ok. Do you know anything of her?" she asked, concerned. "I don't want just anyone in my house."

Emily was very reassuring."She is very good, Hillary, and has a reputable reputation. She has helped out the police and found missing children. Her name is Vivian Salley."

Hillary sighed again."I suppose that I must trust your judgment on this," she said with uncertainty. "I have never heard of her."

"This needs to be done tonight," Emily said. "The seance."

"I suggest looking in the ledgers. You might find something there. Listen. I am on call at the hospital, so I have to go. I am being paged. Please let me know how it goes." Hillary said.

"I will." Emily ended the call, and Davis looked at her with concern.

"What are you thinking?" he asked slowly.

Emily looked at him."We need those ledgers. We need to see what we can find."

Davis stood up and pulled her up with him."We will go over there then, but first things first, ma'am." he looked at her with heat. She felt her body began to ignite with passion.

"Should we ask one of the sisters to go in there with us? She asked. "For protection."

Davis pulled her toward him and lifted her face to his. He kissed her gently and tenderly. The heat rose between them, and she gasped for air as his kiss deepened. She touched his chest and felt the muscle beneath his shirt."We are alone," she whispered. He smiled at her.

"Yes - we are." He grabbed her and scooped her up into his arms. She removed his John Deere hat and put it on her head backward.

"It's true what they say," she said, as he carried her to the bedroom.

His voice was rough and hoarse."What's that?"

She smiled up at him. "You should take advantage of alone time when the kids are gone."