Chapter 19- Almost Time

Start from the beginning

Throughout this time, I was given an opportunity to explore a bit, make a friend or two, finally see what my brother has turned into and even kiss a girl for the first time.

But now, it was time to make one of the hardest, life changing decisions ever, but I just couldn't bring myself to disobey Jared's orders and run away. I clearly didn't want to punishment or to die. Even if I had to choose, I'd chose death. It's far much better and should be less painful than Jared's punishment.

I found a navy blue shirt hung up on the handle of the wardrobe door. I decided on that (not like I had much of a choice anyways).

I checked the time, 2:45. Good timing. I got into the car with a heavy heart and a conflicted mind.

I turned on the street and drove up into Mr. Haynsworth's yard. I rang Shay's phone twice and on the third, the front door opened.

She stepped out on the small steps and walked toward the car. She wore a short, black, fitted black dress. It was shiny and clung to her body, outlining her figure. Wow.

She opened the passenger's door and got in.

She looked at me and smiled, then I saw her playing with her nails on her lap. I rest my hand on hers. Was she nervous? I was gonna try to help it.

'You look...wow.' I was trying to find an adjective that would make her think I'm creative with words but sadly that was all I could manage before I saw her look down and back up at me smiling, cheeks highlighted slightly.

'Thanks Kendall, you look beautiful too.' We both laughed before we just stopped and I looked at the time.

It was 3:30. I think I could reach there before 6 if I tried. She broke the intensity of our gazes while I was trying to figure out who her eyes reminded me of. 'Where are we going?' She asked in the smallest voice?

I shook my head. 'Can't tell you.'

I couldn't tell her for two reasons. One, she might think I'm psychotic and try to run away. And two, she might think I'm joking. So, there really was nothing I could explain.

We arrived at the port an hour into driving, with simple chats and laughs along the way.

But, two minutes before we arrived here, I pulled aside and pulled out a blindfold from the dash pocket. 'Here, put this on.' And, after slight hesitation, she did.

There were a few small boats along the boardwalk, the lake calm and sparkling. There wasn't a blazing sun this afternoon, it was a bit too cloudy, which was just what I needed right now. The perfect, romantic, soft setting. Nothing uncomfortable.

I parked at the side of the small guard booth and cafe, just a few meters away from the lines of small boats bobbing against the boardwalk.

I got out, walked over the Shay's side and took her hand, guiding her out of the car.

I nodded with the guard as he knew my father had sent this at my request. Jared sure did have some power.

I walked over to the edge of the short jetty, still guiding Shay as she couldn't have seen where she was going, and made her step into the gondola (which was similar to those kayaks used in Venice). It was probably about a few metres long and pretty. There was a middle aged man, rowing it, seated closer to the bow and he carried on with his job, rowing away, when Shay started speaking instead of smiling. Didn't her cheeks hurt by now?

'Woah,' she said as she misbalanced a bit in the middle. I sat her on the bench thing at the centre and untied the black blindfold, so that she could finally see her surroundings.
'Wow,' she looked around a few times before she looked at me. Her eyes and features lit up. 'This is beautiful.'

I pulled off one of those movie lines. 'But not as beautiful as you.'

'Aww stop it you,' She blushed and looked up at the sky.

Then, she turned to me, and looked at me in my eyes where I was seated next to her, our legs touching, the gondola moving and soon, our breaths mixing.

It was in an instant I found her face moved closer to mine, a bit doubtful. I was just still staring, at her, my mind still conflicted and my heart ablaze yet again.

Then, she did it without encouragement. Her mesmerizing lips attached to mine and again, I was lost to somewhere else. My worries and doubts faded away slowly when I became conscious of what I was doing. I focused on what I was doing, purposely resting my extended right hand on her knee.

When she was beginning to press my shoulders away, I realized that I had taken over her confidence, making mine stronger, pushing her back a bit. When we were separated, looking at each other again, I realized that the blindfold was on her lap.

Little did she know, that an hour from now, she'd be needing it again when I lead her to Jared's holding place. What was actually hurting me right now, (weird that I could feel this type of feeling) , was that I was leading her towards her possible ending, and ...she trusted me.