Chapter 3 - Behind the Curtains

|| 3.1 ||

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka's Point of View:

Glauce paced back and forth, her emerald gown trailing behind her with each step. She wore an expression of anticipation, her heart pounding with excitement as she awaited the arrival of Medea.

The lady in question was to hand-deliver her a gift that day, as per her engagement to Jason. The thought of her soon-to-be husband's ex-lover Medea, of all people, celebrating such a moment, was truly a sight to behold. She felt at ease, knowing that there were to be no quarrels between the two ladies for the days to come.

As if summoned by her thoughts, the door creaked open, and Medea stepped into the room, a commanding presence indeed. Clad in flowing robes of deep crimson, she approached Glauce with a confident stride, a mysterious glint in her eyes that only wandered the princess further.

"Medea, so good to see you," Glauce's voice quivered with excitement as she met Medea's gaze, welcoming the older woman with a warm smile on her face.

Medea smiled, a subtle curve of her lips that was venomous yet enticing, all in one.

Yes, Glauce could understand why Jason loved such a woman.

"I feel the same, princess," Medea curtly bowed, showing her respect.

"I hear you've come with gifts for me," Glauce began, approaching the other, "You need not do such a thing, it is–"

"How could I not? I must ensure that you don't believe that I hold some form of animosity towards you," Medea interrupted, placing her hand on Glauce's shoulder, "Consider it a token of my affection." Medea accidentally overstepped, stepping over Glauce's foot. She apologized quickly and stepped back to create some space.

'How strange' Glauce thought. There truly was no need for such a thing, yet Medea did it anyway. The thought of it being some kind of plot by Medea crossed Glauce's mind, yet she shook it off, trying to express her gratitude.

With a flourish, Medea presented a beautifully crafted robe and a gleaming coronet, both shimmering with an otherworldly allure. Glauce gasped in delight, her fingers trembling as she reached out to touch the exquisite fabrics.

"These are for me?" Glauce's voice trembled with awe as she accepted the gifts, her heart fluttering with gratitude.

Medea nodded, her eyes glittering with an intensity that Glauce couldn't quite decipher. "Indeed, my dear. Wear them with pride, for they are a reflection of your beauty and grace."

Glauce donned the robe and coronet, a sense of euphoria washing over her, a feeling of being cherished and adored. Little did she know the true nature of Medea's gifts, the deadly poison woven into the fabric, waiting to claim its unsuspecting victim.

|| 3.15 ||

"Nanase is definitely talented, but Kurokawa is much better," I remarked, resting my chin on my hand as I watched the scene unfold.

It wouldn't be a stretch to say that Kurokawa really was a genius actor. Just from the short segments of this play that I'd seen so far, I could already tell why her roles were so critically acclaimed among the theater-goers. In fact, this theater in particular was overcrowded, with a few individuals sneaking into the back just to watch Kurokawa.

There was also the fact that Kurokawa had managed to improvise mid-scene over her mistake. Her stepping over Nanase's feet was not in the practice-takes which me and Eiichiro were able to view beforehand. Yet, she managed to make it convincing just by the look on her face and the determination with which she acted.