Homecoming

Location: Maharishi Atharva's Ashram. The day of parting. 

As the chariot from Dwarka drew near, Subhadra waited for it to come with bated breath. Would it be safe to say that she was a little worried on what Krishna and Balram would see when they looked at her? She was eighteen, she wasn't the little girl they'd left. She would finally be going home, to her kingdom, to her parents, to her brothers. Would Senapati Satyaki come to get her and complete the circle? Or would her brothers come and get her?

 The uncertainty gnawed at her, but she squared her shoulders and took a deep breath, determined to meet whatever came with the same courage she had built over all her years at Kanyakul. The familiar chariot came to a halt, and a man stepped out, his golden yellow robes catching the sunlight. He shone with a divine radiance, his peacock feather crown fluttering as if touched by a gentle breeze. Subhadra's breath caught in her throat. Bhrata Krishna had arrived.

He approached her with a serene smile, his eyes filled with warmth and a hint of amusement. "Subhadre," he greeted, his voice as melodic and soothing as she remembered. "You've grown into a remarkable young woman."

Subhadra bowed her head in respect, her heart swelling with pride and relief. "Bhrata Krishna," she replied, her voice steady despite the emotions churning within her. "You're here."

Krishna gently lifted her chin, his gaze meeting hers. "I was bound to come and get you, dear sister. We've missed you dearly."

"So you said," she smiled, as he opened his arms. She leaned into his embrace, the familiar feeling of home settling in.

"Without me?"

Another figure emerged from the chariot, his muscular frame and regal bearing unmistakable. Balram, with his broad shoulders and kind eyes, approached with a wide grin. "Little sister, or should I say, young warrior?" he teased, joining the hug.

Subhadra laughed, the tension easing from her shoulders. "Bhrata Balram," she said, hugging him back. She slowly felt the tension ebb away, and the feeling was replaced with a giddy joyfulness she felt as a child.

"I guess it's time to say goodbye." Subhadra turned around to see Jayveer standing there, and behind his happy façade she saw sadness line his features. Subhadra's smile faltered for a moment as she turned to face Jayveer. The joy she felt moments ago was now tinged with a bittersweet note.

Krishna looked at the two back and forth and cleared his throat as if to say, we will be waiting for you, as they stepped away. She nodded, smiling at them.

Jayveer. The boy she met randomly in the forest searching for a lost friend. The boy who had believed in her when she didn't believe in herself, who had unknowingly pushed her to the heights of her potential. That Jayveer.

"Jayveer," she said softly, "Thank you for everything." There were a lot of feelings she couldn't put into words, and she hoped he sensed that.

"I knew this day would come," he admitted, his voice laced with something she couldn't quite decipher. "I just wasn't ready for it."

Subhadra nodded in understanding. "I'll see you again, I know it." she smiled. "This isn't a goodbye."

"You've made me a better warrior, Subhadra. Don't forget that."

"I wont," her throat seemed to be closing up, the tell-tale signs of overwhelming emotions swirling away inside her. "I'll see you again." she repeated, conforming the fact. "I think there's someone else you need to say goodbye to." 

Jayveer turned around to see Zeenat, standing just a few feet away, with a sad smile on her face.

"Go," Subhadra urged him. When he didn't budge, she shoved him in Zeenat's direction, laughing.