72 : The Vinyl Countdown

𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔬𝔫, 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔐𝔞𝔶 2007

Strictly speaking, EJ hadn't been telling the whole truth about his scientific background. There were a few stones he would have liked to leave unturned, but to get through the night, he doubted that they would stay intact.

     GDIE was the gateway into Lazarus Laboratories, not that he liked to talk about it, but EJ McCray Thompson had a duty to fulfil. The building appeared like an old theatre with a modern extension just placed on top. It was ugly. EJ hated it. Then again, he hated all of these companies... his the most.

     Inside was frightfully contemporary. Everything was glass and marble, all for show, and very little with practical applications.

     Martha wasn't paying much attention as the Doctor flashed the psychic paper to get them both inside, but for once, EJ didn't have to play along. One mention that he was an additional representative of GDIE, himself and Josh were through the doors in a heartbeat. There were some perks, it appeared, to status.

     "Oh, look, they've got nibbles!" The Doctor pointed out, excited, as he took a few of the dishes from one of the waiters. "I love nibbles."

  "Joshy," EJ caught his son's attention by squeezing his hand gently. "Do you need anything to eat?"

  He just shook his head. "I'm fine."

  "Alright then, is there anything we should be-"

  EJ had hardly had the chance to turn to the Doctor, who's face was stuffed with a very small amount of pastries, when a woman who looked a lot like Martha rushed over and embraced her in a hug. "Hello."

  Martha exclaimed. "Tish!"

  "You look great." They must have been sisters. "So, what do you think? Impressive, isn't it?"

  "Very." She nodded in response.

  "And two nights out in a row for you? That's dangerously close to a social life."

  The backhanded joke made Martha roll her eyes. "I'll end up in all the gossip columns."

  "You might, actually," Tish said, sort of off-hand, like she'd forgotten about the importance of the event. It wasn't as if there wasn't any press outside to publicise the event for the fourth time that day. "You should keep an eye out for photographers. And Mum, she's coming too. She's even dragging Leo along with her."

  "Leo? In black tie? That I must see!" It seemed to be a shock to Martha, and distracted her from the sight of the Doctor, and an amused EJ. "This is, er, the Doctor."

  He leant forwards and shook her hand. "Hello."

  Tish raised an eyebrow. "Is he with you?"

  "Yeah."

  "But he's not on the list." She hissed. "How did he get in?"

  Martha half-shrugged, because she didn't want to create any conflict. "He's my plus one."

  "What about them?" Tish then spat, sceptically. Her eyes raked over EJ, who, fairly, didn't look like he belonged there, and his six-year-old son, who definitely didn't belong there. "Who are they?"