7

Nie Mingjue accompanied a group of senior disciples and his younger brother, Nie Huaisang, through Qinghe.

This was supposed to be a learning experience. Nie Mingjue was transitioning into the rank of senior disciple and needed the guidance of the older disciples. He was eager to soak in all the knowledge the lead disciple was willing to give him. Especially since Nie Mingjue trained hard to become one of the best of his generation. He was even allowed to take his sword along with him in case of a surprise issue.

To the citizens of their territory, they saw them performing a patrol, but it was more so a leisurely stroll. Nie Mingjue couldn't truly concentrate on his surroundings without keeping an extra eye on Nie Huaisang. He would have preferred to have left his brother behind, but tearful eyes and heckling their father to tag along, opened up a spot for him.

When he was informed of this change, Nie Mingjue managed to stop the grimace from forming on his face. He loved his brother, he did, but Nie Huaisang had the tendency to lag behind or become easily distracted. This was especially prevalent when Nie Huaisang was smaller and wandered off. Nie Huaisang was old enough to know better, yet he still wandered off.

Nie Mingjue thought when his brother began training that he would change, but he didn't. His brother lazed about, not taking his training as a cultivator seriously. There was no interest in practice with wooden swords or the excitement of receiving his saber. Nie Huaisang displayed no determination to work hard or the gumption of the other disciples.

Even with all the tough love Nie Mingjue bestowed on his brother, Nie Huaisang ran off or cried on his leg to stop bullying him. Of course, Nie Mingjue felt immediate guilt over making his usually cheerful brother cry. He was supposed to be his protector, his older brother, the one who Nie Huaisang ran toward if he felt scared or lonely.

Nie Huaisang loved him despite the scuffles they got themselves into. Well, one sided lecturing in Nie Mingjue's end. He couldn't deny the twinge of warmth when Nie Huaisang clung onto his leg and playfully whined for attention. Even if Nie Mingjue was frustrated by his brother's laziness, his childishness, he could never truly be mad at him.

Not for long anyways.

His father, Sect Leader Nie, was softer on Nie Huaisang. He caved to his youngest son's whims, doting on his wish to act on his artistic ventures and to not work as hard as everyone else. Nie Mingjue didn't have his luxury. He was the oldest son, the sect heir, he couldn't be behind the other sect heirs in the gentry. His brawn and talent with the saber masked his lack of political smarts. He wasn't ignorant about his faults.

Nie Mingjue assumed a lot of Nie Huaisang's love of art came from his late mother, the second Sect Madam Nie. Nie Mingjue understood it was a way for his brother to feel close to his mother, for she always performed poetry readings and drew lovely landscapes with her son on her lap. She was of a softer disposition. Far different from the tougher people who lived in the lands of Qinghe. Her hands were softer, her personality was a bit eccentric in her views. Yet, she somehow managed to fit right into a spot of her own creation.

Nie Huaisang's mother was understanding, never pushing Nie Mingjue to address her as mother. There was no underhanded push for Nie Huaisang to be the sect heir, not when Nie Mingjue was alive and healthy. She was one of the few wives Nie Mingjue knew who was genuine in not usurping his place. Unlike other ambitious wives, the late Madam Nie was simply happy to be in a home which cherished her.

To Nie Mingjue, she was simply Aunt Zihan.

She was his mother's closest friend, their contrasting personalities somehow meshed well to keep their long standing friendship of girlhood. Nie Mingjue knew of Aunt Zihan before she was ever considered as a replacement as Sect Madam Nie when his mother slowly died of a curse.