Am better than you

In every family, there's always that one relative who struts around like they own the place, their ego inflated to the size of a hot air balloon. In the case of the Odum family, that relative was none other than Auntie Ngozi.

Auntie Ngozi was the epitome of high society, or so she liked to think. With her perfectly coiffed hair, traditional attire, and an air of superiority that could rival the Queen of England, she made sure everyone knew just how "refined" she was.

From the moment she swept into the room, it was like the oxygen was being sucked out by a vacuum cleaner. Auntie Ngozi demanded attention, her voice ringing out above the chatter like a drumbeat at a royal procession.

"Oh, my dear, you simply must try the pounded yam and egusi soup," she would exclaim, her perfectly manicured hand gesturing towards the platter of delicacies with all the grace of a dancer at a festival.

But it wasn't just her ostentatious displays of wealth that grated on the nerves of her relatives; it was her incessant need to one-up everyone around her. No matter what you achieved, Auntie Ngozi had already done it, and better.

"My dear, did I tell you about the time I met the Ooni of Ife?" she would say, her eyes shining with a self-satisfied gleam. "We simply hit it off like two peas in a pod. He positively adored my taste in gele."

Of course, no family gathering was complete without Auntie Ngozi regaling everyone with tales of her extravagant travels to exotic locales around the world. From the savannas of Kenya to the markets of Marrakech, she had seen it all, my dear, and she made sure everyone knew it.

"Marrakech was simply divine," she would sigh, her eyes taking on a faraway look. "I spent the most delightful afternoon sipping mint tea in the souk. You simply must go sometime."

But for all her grandiosity and airs, there was one thing Auntie Ngozi couldn't seem to shake - her insatiable need for validation. No matter how many compliments she received or how much attention she garnered, it was never enough to fill the void inside her.

"My dear, do you think this gele makes me look too flashy?" she would ask, her eyes scanning the room for reassurance. "I simply can't bear the thought of anyone thinking I've lost touch with my roots."

And so, the cycle continued, with Auntie Ngozi forever chasing after the elusive mirage of perfection, never quite able to grasp it in her perfectly manicured hands.

But despite her flaws and her overbearing nature, there was a certain charm to Auntie Ngozi that her relatives couldn't deny. Beneath the layers of pretense and affectation lay a woman who simply wanted to be loved and accepted for who she was.

"My dear, you know I only do all of this because I care," she would say, her voice softening as she reached out to squeeze your hand. "Family is everything to me, and I would do anything to see you all happy and successful."

And in those moments of vulnerability, you couldn't help but feel a pang of sympathy for Auntie Ngozi. For all her faults and her inflated ego, she was just another human being trying to find her place in the world, one gele at a time.

So the next time Auntie Ngozi waltzed into the room with all the pomp and circumstance of a visiting dignitary, you smiled and greeted her with open arms. Because no matter how much she drove you crazy, she was still family, and family was worth cherishing, flaws and all.