Mother in law

I remember the day I first met her. She was a tall, imposing figure, her eyes as sharp as a hawk's. Her name was Mrs. Mwamba, my husband's mother. I was a young bride, full of hope and dreams, ready to start a new life with the man I loved. Little did I know that the woman who stood before me would cast a long, dark shadow over my life.

Lusaka, the bustling capital of Zambia, was our home. The city was alive with the vibrant colors of the markets, the aroma of street food, and the laughter of children playing in the streets. But in the heart of our home, there was a storm brewing.

My husband, Chanda, was a kind and gentle man, but he was no match for his mother's iron will. She had raised him as a single mother, and her love for him was fierce and unyielding. But her love for him was also tainted by jealousy and possessiveness. She saw me as a threat, a usurper who had stolen her son's heart.

The first few months of our marriage were filled with tension and strife. Mrs. Mwamba would criticize everything I did, from the way I cooked to the way I dressed. She would belittle me in front of her friends and family, making me feel small and insignificant. Chanda tried to defend me, but his mother's words held a power over him that he could not resist.

One day, I decided to confront her. I had had enough of her cruelty and wanted to put an end to it once and for all. I found her in the kitchen, preparing a meal for the family.

'Mrs. Mwamba,' I said, my voice trembling with anger and fear. 'I can't take this anymore. Your constant criticism and belittling are tearing our family apart.'

She turned to face me, her eyes narrowed with contempt. 'You think you can come into my home and change things? You are nothing but a foolish girl who doesn't know her place.'

I took a deep breath and continued. 'I love your son, and I want to make this family work. But I can't do that if you continue to treat me like this.'

She laughed, a cold and bitter sound. 'You think you can change me? You are nothing but a pawn in my game. I will do whatever it takes to protect my son, even if it means destroying you.'

I left the kitchen, tears streaming down my face. I felt defeated and alone, but I knew I had to stand up for myself. I couldn't let her win.

Over the next few months, I began to build a life for myself outside of the home. I started a small business selling handmade jewelry, and I found solace in the company of other women who were going through similar struggles. I even started attending a local church, where I found comfort in the words of the pastor and the support of the congregation.

But Mrs. Mwamba was not one to be easily defeated. She began to spread rumors about me, accusing me of infidelity and dishonesty. She even went so far as to threaten my business, telling her friends and family not to buy my jewelry.

Chanda was torn between his love for me and his loyalty to his mother. He tried to reason with her, but she was unyielding. In the end, he chose to stand by me, and we decided to leave Lusaka and start a new life together.

As we drove away from the city, I looked back at the house where I had once hoped to build a happy home. I felt a sense of sadness and loss, but also a sense of relief. I knew that I had made the right decision, and that I would never again allow myself to be controlled by the wicked mother-in-law who had tried to destroy me.

In the years that followed, Chanda and I built a life together, far away from the shadow of Mrs. Mwamba. We had two beautiful children, and we found happiness and contentment in our new home. And though I still carry the scars of her cruelty, I know that I am stronger for having faced her.

For in the end, it was not the wicked mother-in-law who won, but the brave and resilient woman who refused to be broken. And that, my friends, is a story worth telling.