31

It was a rare occurrence not to be woken up by Rorisang crying, which was a blessing because they spent odd hours of the night tending to him. Her father might have had doubts about Anesu helping out and wanted Kgomotso to come home for the first 3 months, but he hasn't disappointed her so far. He's been consistent since day one and never made her feel like a burden when she needed his help. But it wasn't a complete surprise because he was intentional about putting those he cared about first.

The sun emerged in a hurry to claim the sky. There was no threat of rain in the coming days according to the weather service something she was happy about. She'd hate for it to rain on Saturday even though the presence of rain on special occasions was perceived as good fortune.

With a heavy sigh, she rolled over and put her phone back on the nightstand after reading Hazel's message. She wasn't coming on Saturday and Kgomotso tried calling because her message didn't include an explanation, and she didn't understand where the animosity was coming from.

"What's wrong?" he rasped.

She turned to face him but his eyes were still closed, since when did he start talking in his sleep?

"Anesu?"

"Why are you whispering?" His smile was fleeting.

"Because I thought you were talking in your sleep."

He opened his eyes and stayed looking at her. "So, I don't snore anymore?"

"I wouldn't say that." She chuckled but he saw right through her.

"What's wrong, baby," he asked again, kissing her hand.

"Hazel is not coming on Saturday. As someone I considered a good friend she should have called me instead of telling me via a text message. Or am I being unreasonable for thinking that?" She looked at him for confirmation.

"No, I don't think so because at least you'd know why she decided not to come."

"Knowing Hazel, she's probably still upset that I extended my leave without telling her."

Despite how Hazel felt, Kgomotso didn't regret her decision because she was still able to work from home when required. Spending time with her baby was priceless and she was determined not to miss any of his monumental milestones because she could afford to prioritise motherhood over chasing the bag.

"I thought you two had already talked about it and set everything straight."

Anesu laid on his back, making way for her to rest on his chest. He cherished the intimate moments they shared within their bedroom because it brought them closer.

"I tried but she's been avoiding me since we had brunch."

"You're a wife and mother and both happened fairly quickly, so she might be having a hard time dealing with how that will change your friendship and people don't handle change the same way."

"If that's how she truly feels then she should talk to me about it because I'm not a mind reader."

"Maybe she needs space."

Kgomotso sighed, tracing his scar with her index finger. She didn't pity him much, like she did when he first told her about his transplant. He had a lot to live for and she'd rather focus on that.

"You might be right."

"I know you would've liked for her to be there but we'll still get to celebrate with the people who matter the most to us."

"You're not having second thoughts because we moved pretty fast for people who've only been together for a year?"

"No. I don't want to be with anybody else but you. I love you and will always do no matter what happens."

She frowned unable to shake the uneasy feeling creeping up from the back of her mind. She didn't want to encounter any surprises a day before the wedding like Kamo did, if Anesu had a baby mama then he better come clean now.

"Is there something I need to know?"

"Only that I love you."

"Mxm. You think I can't tell that you're hiding something from me?" She tried to get out of bed but he stopped her and tightened his hold on her wrist.

"Kgomotso?"

The look in his eyes gave her pause and she knew something was wrong because that uneasy feeling prowling in her mind wailed like a siren at the first sign of danger.

"Whatever it is we'll get through it together as long as it's not a baby with another woman," she said, cupping his face.

"It's my heart."

Her stomach dropped, fear constricted her breathing and the lack of oxygen had her feeling dizzy. She couldn't fathom living without him because he was the piece that completed her.

"What about your heart?" She could barely get the words past the fat lump sitting in her throat.

He held her hands, staring into her eyes which glistened with unshed tears. "I have acute antibody rejection meaning the-"

"I know what it is," she interjected. "I did some research after you told me about your transplant."

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, baby."

She knew getting mad wasn't going to help the situation but the urge to slap him didn't die down.

Kgomotso blinked back her tears and sighed, trying her best to keep calm. "We'll get back to that. Right now, I want to know the severity of your case and the course of treatment the doctor recommended."

"It's not as bad as it sounds so Dr Sharma increased the dosage of my immunosuppressant medication and if that doesn't help we'll move on to plasmapheresis."

"Why didn't he just go with the plasmapheresis from the start?"

"Because I don't want to be dealing with the side effects come membeso."

"Then we can cancel and I'll stay with you to make sure you're okay."

She didn't want to spend a week in Sharpville anyway and no-one would ask questions if they found out he was sick.

"No, baby, I'll be fine. Dr Sharma is the best so you don't have to worry about anything."

"Easy for you to say."

Worry was already eating away at her and wasn't going to stop until she was sure his condition wasn't going to get life threatening.

"I promise." He placed a kiss on her forehead.

"Okay, fine we won't cancel but from now on I'll be going with you to every doctor's appointment."

"I have no problem with that."
************

Lwazi arrived at Mall of Africa after Masika called, needing a ride home. He couldn't find a baby sitter and quite frankly he developed trust issues after what Nolitha did so he brought Khanya along. He didn't think Masika was serious when she mentioned not being able to drive because she didn't live far from the mall and could've easily got an Uber, unless it was just an excuse to see him which he didn't mind cause he missed her too.

It was a maze when he got inside and the directory wasn't much help, he couldn't keep wandering around because Khanya would soon get restless and throw a fit. He waited outside of Woolworths for Masika to come after calling her. The crowds of people dashing from store to store were caught up in the festive season as they made good use of their year-end bonuses. He got to thinking about getting presents for Khanya to make her first Christmas special and a tree would be nice too. Kamo would've taken care of everything by now and wouldn't have spared a cent because she always had to go all out.

"Hi." Her greeting was followed by a kiss on his lips, she didn't shy away from showing affection in public.

He swept his gaze along her body, admiring her lean figure in the brightly coloured dress. Her braids were tied up and flaunted her handcrafted earrings shaped like a bird or was it a flower, he couldn't tell.

"Sawubona, ntombenhle."

Oh, the charm stayed on 24/7 with this man.

"Thank you for coming to pick me up."

"Okay, Miss Daisy," he said, holding back a smile.

Masika laughed once she realised he was talking about Driving Miss Daisy. Good thing he knew that he was now her chauffeur.

"I see you brought company today." She had to say something because she didn't think he'd bring her around his daughter so soon.

"Ja, I currently don't have a baby sitter, do you mind having her here?"

She couldn't resist taking a peek in the stroller and found Khanya sleeping. Her hair was neatly styled with pink tiny ribbons and she had doubts Lwazi had anything to do with it.

"No, not at all. But there's still one more stop I need to make."

He frowned, confusion palpable on his face as he eyed the shopping bags she carried. "You're not done?"

Masika shook her head and the salacious gleam in her eyes had him intrigued.

"Okay, where to from here?"

She leaned in close, brushing her finger against his zip and dropped her voice to a whisper. "Bras N Things to get something red and lacy."

He drew in a sharp breath, desire lurking in his narrowed eyes.

"Unless you want to go some other time," she said.

"No, now is fine."

He checked on Khanya before they left.

"Hi, welcome to Bras N Things. How can I help you?"

"Hi..." Masika took a quick glance at her name tag. "Hi, Verona. We're just going to have a look around and will let you know when we're in need of your assistance."

"Alright, I'll be behind the counter." She hurried over to the counter to answer the phone.

It didn't seem like Lwazi was out of place being in a women's underwear store because he moved with a familiarity that showed he's been in a place like this before. A mesh bustier caught her eye detailed with floral embroidery and a matching thong.

"What do you think of this one?"

"I like it but please try on this one first." He picked out a push up bodysuit.

She took the bodysuit and put it in the cart. "I'll put on a show for you when we get home."

He walked over to the next rack and picked out a red lacy suspender. "I like this one too."

"Of course you do." She laughed and took one in black too. Red wasn't really her colour. She took a few bras and the matching Brazilian knickers.

"Do you have time to grab lunch?" she asked.

He tilted his head, looking at the cart. "I'm not hungry for food."

"Haibo, Lwazi."

Masika could see Verona watching them from the corner of her eye and didn't even hide the fact that she was taking pictures of them.

"What is it?" He followed Masika's gaze.

"Nothing." She stepped away from him.

"Are you ready to go?"

"Yes, please."

Khanya's loud cry sprung him into action and Lwazi pulled back the cover to get her out and that's when the stench hit him.

"I have to go change her."

But he didn't get far because Khanya spotted Masika and held out her arms, leaning away from her father. Yho, this child will be the death of him.

"Do you mind changing her?" he asked, looking rather defeated.

"No. I'll pay for these when I come back."

"Don't worry, I got it." He put Khanya back in the stroller. "I keep her wipes in the side pocket of the diaper bag."

"Be right back."

"Thank you."