29

Their date was amazing and it was a shame to see it end. They were almost at her apartment and Masika dreaded having to say goodbye to Lwazi because she wasn’t going to see him for another couple of days. Being a father came first so she couldn’t compete with Khanya, it was in fact admirable to hear how fondly he spoke about her. He was an amazing father and that was apparent in his actions as well.

“What’s on your mind?”

He squeezed her knee, calling for her attention when she didn’t answer.

“Huh?”

Masika didn’t even realise she’d wandered off to the maze in her head, chasing endless thoughts that never seemed to go away. She was coming to the realisation that spending more time with Lwazi will have her falling for him faster than she anticipated. Her heart was already rebelling because she was starting to have feelings that would leave her shattered if not reciprocated.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

“Yeah.” She smiled, looking at him. “I’m fine.”

“You don’t have any more questions for me?”

Her smile turned into a fit of giggles as she remembered the look on his face as she pulled out that piece of paper. “I did the most, neh?”

“Don’t worry, I’ve seen worse.”

“Now you have to tell me that story.”

“One of my exes made me believe she was pregnant with my child only to find out the day she gave birth that her ex was the father.”

“That must’ve been hard on you.”

After the brief sadness, he recalled being relieved when the results came out because the thought of losing Kamo shook him more than not being that boy’s father.

“I got over it.”

“Just like that?” she said with a snap of her fingers.

“Yes, because there was no use to cry about it while my marriage was falling apart.”

She gasped, shocked as her smile fell from her face. “Please, don’t tell me you cheated on your wife.” Disappointment rang clear in her words.

“No. I never cheated on my wife but my ex was already pregnant when we met.”

My wife. My ex.

To hear him refer to these women like they still had some claim over him evoked feelings of jealousy, it came at her fast and was so pungent she could taste it. Being jealous was laughable but she was never one to question her heart.  

“Oh, I get it now, you didn’t tell your wife and she found out after the wedding.” 

She put him in the hot seat and turned the heat high enough to make him sweat, his discomfort was obvious because this conversation didn’t show him in a good light. 

“Yes.”

“Have you ever cheated in your past relationships?” She looked at him, studying even the slightest movement he made in case he thought of lying.

Eish. Some women believed once a cheater always a cheater, he didn’t stand a chance if Masika was one of them.

“Yes. I have but I’m not that man anymore.”

“I believe you.”

He slowed down as they approached the boom gate, she recognised the security guard in the booth and waved as he came out to check the boot.

“So, you don’t think I’m trash because I cheated once upon a time?”

“No. I believe that people can change for the better and growth comes with learning from your mistakes. So, I’m choosing to trust you and that won’t change unless you do something to break that trust.”

“I hear you.”

“I hope I can count on you to be honest with me at all times,” she said.

“You don’t have to worry about that.”

He parked the car and turned off the engine. Masika noticed that Lefa’s space was empty meaning she could invite him up for a drink or two and a quickie, something to remember him by during those long and lonely nights.

“I have one more question for you.”

Lwazi caressed the back of her hand with his thumb. He was in no rush to go pick up Khanya and would rather spend a few more minutes with Masika and delay having another awkward encounter with Kgomotso. There was no telling if their relationship would get back to a good place, they were able to keep it cordial even with her lingering resentment. He couldn’t help but think maybe things wouldn’t be so complicated if she wasn’t marrying his best friend.  

“I’m listening,” he said.

“Did you have fun?”

He smiled shyly, turning his head away so she wouldn’t see him blush. She planned to spoil him often just to see that boyish smile light up his eyes like she was the best thing since sliced bread.

“Yes, I did.” His sincerity was charming.

“Me too.”

“So does that mean there will be a second date?”

“Of course.”

His carnal gaze dropped to her thighs and the confined space was suddenly thick with desire and the need to act on it was overwhelming. His shallow breathing accompanied by the subtle caress on her arm increased the warmth seeping from her crux, and he shamelessly undressed her with that salacious look in his eyes.

“Aren’t you going to kiss me?” Her words were a breathless whisper.

He grasped her chin and traced his finger along her full lips. “No.”

Hey! This man must not test her.

“Why not.”

“Because I don’t want to start something I won’t be able to finish.”

She pressed her thighs together in a desperate attempt to alleviate the burning ache in her sweet spot. “I guess we’ll have something to look forward to for our next date.”

“Then it should be indoors with you in a lacy number.”

“Sounds like it’ll be fun.” She caressed the outline of his erection.

He kissed her, holding the back of her head to coax her lips apart and the flick of his tongue stoked her burning ache.

“I need to go.” He whispered against her lips but made no attempt to move.

“Okay.”

“I’ll call you.”

“I know.” She smiled to keep from crying.

Her need to cry every time she had to say goodbye to this man required to be studied by professionals.

He got out of the car and opened the door for her.

“Don’t forget my new boyfriend,” she said when he took out her bag. 

He frowned, momentarily confused as to who this boyfriend was.

“I’m talking about the Koala bear, silly.”

Oh, the stuffed animal he won for her at the arcade. He didn’t think she’d like it as much as she did but clearly she was the sentimental type and it was refreshing to see. It was the most fun he’d had in a long time, no doubt better than having dinner in some uptight establishment. For once he was able to cast his worries aside and live in the moment, while also embracing his inner child. 

“He needs to pull up his socks because there’s some stiff competition out here.”

“Is there?” she said, acting surprised.

“Yes, and he’s pretty determined.”

“Mm-hmm. May the best man win.”

He insisted on walking her inside and as they waited for the elevator to come, two girls stepped out, giggling as they walked past them. They looked about a few years older than Tshego and regularly came around here because they were known to never miss a good time, and were perfect stocko to the guys who loved to show off beautiful women as a symbol of status.

“Chomi nayi ndoda,” said the one wearing a black dress as she looked back at Lwazi. They giggled some more and left the building without causing a scene and Masika was able to relax.

“Don’t forget to call when you get home.”

“I won’t.”

“Okay. Bye.”

She was eager to get inside and enjoy a nice and  hot bubble bath with Tanerélle playing in the background while she sipped on some Pinot Noir, because she won’t have a moment to herself once Lefa arrived. She already had the keys as soon as she got off the elevator but stopped when she caught sight of an unwanted guest waiting by the door.

“Theo?”

He didn’t acknowledge her and remained seated on the concrete floor with his head bowed.

“Theo, what are you doing here?”

He sniffed, wiping his face with the hem of his t-shirt.

Could this get any weirder? Masika wondered, taking a step closer. She never went anywhere without her pepper spray, so she'd be safe if he tried anything.

“I see you’re dating a tenderpreneur now.”

Mxm. She should’ve known he came here to start some bullshit, forgetting that he was running around town with Instagram baddies.

“That’s none of your business.”

“What are you doing with someone like him when everybody knows he comes from a corrupt family.”

He still didn’t make eye contact as he continued with his hate campaign against Lwazi and it felt more like he was talking to himself.

“Please, leave if you have nothing better to say. I’d like to spend the rest of my day in peace because you don’t see me meddling in your personal life.”

“I don’t know where to go.” His voice trembled.

Her sarcastic laugh was a knife to his heart. Gone were the days when she easily fell for his manipulation and he was going to learn that the hard way.

“How is that my problem?”   

He sniffed again, placing his hands over his head. “I need you.”

“I don’t have time for this, Theo, go find someone else to bother because I don’t want you here.”

“Do you really mean that? After everything we’ve been through.”

He was the one who put her through hell and he had the nerve to come back here drunk and play the victim. It must be nice to be a man.

“Oh, so you want me to call security to escort you out just to show you how serious I am?”

“You can’t hurt me more than I already am so do your worst.” He wiped the tears with the back of his hand. “I regret that I didn’t know how good I had it until I lost you.”

“Why are you crying because you’re the one who dumped me? I loved you and you threw it all away.”

Tears streamed down his face as he chuckled. “I don’t know where to go because I’ve been feeling lost since I found out that my mother passed away.”

“And you came here instead of being with your family? There’s nothing I can do for you.”

After a brief struggle he managed to get himself up, a scowl on her face as he glared at her. “I just told you that my mother died and that’s all you have to say to me? When did you start being so heartless Masika?”

“So, he expected her to drop everything and be there for him? Never!

The entitlement had him thinking the world revolved around his inflated head, she has seen the light and won’t go back to being his doormat.

“What do you want me to say, huh? It’s not like you were there for me when Ruth died.”

“Argh, come on, Masika! I cancelled my gigs to attend her funeral.”

She needed the Holy Spirit to intervene because the urge to strangle him was overwhelming.  

“I’m sorry for your loss. But I won’t put my life on hold to comfort you like we’re still together, you lost that privilege a long time ago. I don’t owe you anything, so don’t call me or come back here again. I would hate to tarnish your so-called brand.”