episode 14

Lana woke up the next morning, early- just as the sun was beginning to brim the tops of the buildings parallel to their height- and a pale pink light leaked into the area where they had laid soundly against a couch. A playful grin topped her weary eyes upon listening to the soft sounds of a deep inhale and slow exhale next to her. She carefully slid out of his arm, which made its way to his side, and he stirred slightly, mumbling to himself under his breath as he turned into the couch. A small giggle whispered past her plump lips. He was turned and snugged neatly into the corner of his grey couch, his snoring now returned, so she took her chance to slowly slide the bottoms of her feet across the hard tile floor and shamble her way into his kitchen. Her senses urged her to peer out the window wall, and she stomached her fear momentarily to take in the beautiful scene of a sunrise backdrop over her city that she called home.

             The deep blue sky warmed and pink and gold, cotton candy like clouds hovered in the distance. The gold light leaked into the room, painting everything in it a soft orange. Her eyes lingered over the man whom she had shared yet another night of sleep with, her dark eyes grazing slowly over his soft features, contrasting with his sharp jaw and curly, messy hair. She had never seen this peaceful side of him rise, and be visible, until now, and she swallowed thickly at the possible idea of it going south. 

             They had known of each other for the past year, and have even followed each other and occasionally interacted, but nothing had happened until that one night where she needed a ride back to her apartment. Now days later they're kissing? Her mind spiraled for long enough that she forgot completely about her crippling fear of heights and stood, taking in the small cars and tiny groups of people bustling in the street under her. Her fears were overwhelmed by one looming cloud. Is this a bad thing? Is it a mistake? Have I made a huge mistake? She took a deep breath, steadied herself, and pried her eyes from the spinning mass of distance outside of his windows. She just needed to stay calm. It had been a long time since she actually lived a little, and even if it would end up being nothing, it will still be worth it to try and make it into something. 

               She slid her phone out of her pocket and snapped a picture of the sunrise, ensuring that she avoided the slumbering boy in the corner. Even if nothing happens, and this is all a mistake, its's better to have some of him, who I've had a crush on since the draft, than none of him at all. Her fingers drummed along her keyboard and she posted on her Instagram story for her 500k followers to view and enjoy. Being an influencer and daughter of one of the richest men in Canada surely had its perks.

 Being an influencer and daughter of one of the richest men in Canada surely had its perks

••••••••••••••••

             The smell of warm food and sugar tickled at Jack's nose until he rolled onto his side and found empty space. His stomach dropped almost immediately into his feet as panic throbbed behind his eyes. Was it a mistake kissing her? Had he screwed up his massive plan that he was plotting? Was it all over? Would it be awkward at the Vegas event this weekend? His brain was flooded with thoughts, and they were not pleasant. He sat quickly, a bit too quickly as his ribs sent a shock of pain through his body in protest. Yup, his ribs still hurt. Maybe she had left during the night? Or maybe it was just a dream? 

             Although, it couldn't be, because the scent of bacon and warm morning pastries was far too real. He pushed himself up off the couch with the flats of his hands and staggered his way to his footing. One foot after another he carefully crept around the side of the hall to find a scene of which he had only ever seen in his dreams.

             A beautiful woman, with curly hair that was piled into a messy bun, black as the night sky, with deep tan skin, stood over a pan, carefully flipping her wrist and the spatula held in it. She wore an oversized jumper that nearly reached her mid-thigh, and tiny shorts that were concealed by the layers of fabric. A sweet song was being sung under her voice, it paused briefly upon feeling the presence of another person renter her bubble of personal space and serenity. He made his way over gingerly, an arm was still pressed against his bruise, and felt the warmth of the pan warm up his chest. Her curly bun was tousled and played with momentarily, earning a smack in return and a stare that could make flowers wilt. 

             "Morning' Jacko, thought I'd do something nice, but I guess you'd like to go back to being a bully already?" She waved a hot utensil in his direction sarcastically. He dodged and switched to her opposite shoulder.

              "Maybe," he drew the word out, "-or maybe not," Jack took his chance and snaked an arm around her waist, pulling her into his solid torso from behind and snugging in next to her head. A crimson hot blush painted the girl's face while she attempted to continue to cook without burning the protein pancakes that she was flipping. He squeezed her towards him and pressed a kiss to the top of her head briefly. The girls stomach did a backflip, front flip, and probably a barrel roll before her brain could return to function again. His arm retracted, and with it left the feeling of foggy warmth and comfort, and returned the cool feeling of being physically alone. 

              "Still a jerk," she batted her eyelashes in the boy's direction. A playful wink was shot back at her to which she scoffed and rolled her pretty eyes.

              "Maybe," he confirmed, shrugging and making his way to the bar of the kitchen counter. A white bar style chair greeted him, and he perched atop it, awaiting his meal. He turned to look out the window, away from the woman. Thoughts whirred through his brain, making him feel as though his head was a whirlpool. He had screwed up, big time. It didn't feel like a game anymore for his own gain. It felt like something more. 

His agent was going to be pissed.