episode 9

Water sloshed and lapped lazily at the edge of the glossy white speed boat that was parked in a secluded and dim area of the river, where the media's eyes couldn't reach. Trees with broad green leaves reached towards the cloudy sky, and framed the body of water. Small street lights were perched every so often, and walking upon the trail that those lights lit were small groups of people and their adorable dogs. Their boat was the only on the water, and Jack had dimmed their lights so they could completely absorb the sunset in front of them. The sky was painted with deep blues towards the top, and scarlet reds and pinks towards the horizon line. A warm glow was cast across the boat. Lana didn't speak. Her eyes were wide and she inhaled the brisk air deeply. Her legs were crossed on the edge of the stationary boat. She tucked herself comfortably into the rear of the boat and threw her legs over the rest of the couch. Her back rested against the steering platform. Unbeknownst to her, Jack plucked his phone from his pocket and posted a picture to his Instagram story.

 Unbeknownst to her, Jack plucked his phone from his pocket and posted a picture to his Instagram story

            jhugh_86 updated his story

           "I don't think I've ever seen something this beautiful before," Lana finally broke the silence and pulled her phone out to snap a few pictures herself. A few birds chirped to a quick cadence in the distance.
             "Yeah I know," he replied from behind the steering wheel. Although his eyes weren't trained on the sky in front of him, they lingered on the dark shiny waves that were pulled into a tight braid. They traced her frame and jawline and lips. They landed on her eyes, which were awaiting his gaze. Her dark eyes reflected the deep pink from the clouds and his blue eyes were bright and reflective in the setting lights. Lana's breath hitched in her chest. Jack cleared his throat and broke the look off.
             "You up for some food?" He brought the blue tote bag over and sat along the couch next to her. She nodded and shifted her weight to be closer to him so she could get a better view of the snacks he brought.
              "Here," he passed her a chicken caesar wrap that was delicately concealed in a brown parchment, she gladly accepted the food but he continued, "and this, and this, and this."
             Next he passed her a fruit salad that was still freezer box cold, a box of warm fries and a Diet Coke. She placed the food on the small table trey in front of them. Her heart beat quickened.
              "Jack how did you manage to get every single one of my favorites without even asking me?"
               "I got my ways, I got my ways," he replied vaguely and adjusted his hair. He was snacking on a chicken wrap too.  Lana rolled her eyes at him, "Okay!" He continued, elaborating with, "-well when you were over the other night you said you wished that you could make a wrap out of my chicken and rice so I kinda just thought you might like it that way too. And the fries just are so good with a wrap,"
               "No, yeah you're so right. Thank you so much by the way, this is really nice and if it wasn't for you I would be eating a pint of ice cream while crying over Greys Anatomy right now,"
              "So it sounds like you made the better choice then?"
              "Oh absolutely without a doubt," Lana answered. She giggled.            
              Their night continued with laughter, stories from their childhood, and comments about the season. The Devils had to win the next 6 games to secure the wildcard playoff spot, but it was going to be extremely difficult and it left the entire roster with tense shoulders, aches, and bodily pains. Jack seemed level though, he spoke highly of his line mates and his brother. Lana noticed the way his eyes crinkled when he spoke about his brother, and the way he opened his arm up over the couch to beckon her closer. She obliged and ended up resting her back on his warm chest and her head in the crook of his neck. He wrapped that outside arm around her casually. They took turns sipping from the Diet Coke.
               "Wait let me tell you about draft day," he said, opening his camera roll and pulling up some photos from the day.
               "No way, oh my god this is so embarrassing," Lana broke from his embrace and sat up, gazing back down at him. He peered up through knit eyebrows, "Jack," she covered her face with her hands to muffle her voice, "I'm the one reporter that called you hot on air,"
              "Oh my god I was about to tell you about that story!" He cackled in laughter, "I was gonna talk about how a reporter's hot-mic picked up her calling me hot during my interview but that was you?"
                "Jack I'm going to murder you," she made a labored sigh noise, "yes it was me and I'm still so sorry!"
                "No way dude you went viral on Twitter and everything too- that was so fricken funny don't apologize for that," he tugged her waist and she melted back into his embrace. Her hands stayed plastered to her face.
               "Oh you're such a liar you definitely knew who I was at the training rink, didn't you?" She interrogated him now. A laugh erupted in his chest and she felt the rumble, wrapping her in the bubbly feeling that she used to get around old school-boy crushes. He had the type of laugh that made every other sound in the world dissipate into silence. The type that was so loud and hiccupy that you couldn't help but laugh along too. She broke into small giggles.

               "I've known who you were since I laid my eyes on you," he replied and reached towards the girl, tugging at her wrists to get her to uncover her face. 

                 They were close. Too close. Noses almost touching close. Up close she noticed his tiny golden freckles that painted his cheeks and a thin shiny scar across the side of his bottom lip. Their conversation was halted and all that could be heard was the distant sound of birds calling each other to safety as the sun set below the horizon, and the two were completely enveloped in a dark haze. Jack pulled the girl closer to him and with his free hand he tucked a loose piece of her hair behind her ear, tilted his head to the right and slowly leaned in. Lana squeezed her eyes shut in anticipation. Her chest was racing so painfully that she feared her rib cage might burst and that her heart might bounce itself into the choppy waters below. She parted her lips slightly and brought up her outside hand, tangling it in his hair over his ear. His hair was smooth and thick. 

                But all of a sudden their bodies went rigid, like lightning had struck the pair, and a phone ringtone caused Lana to almost jump out of her skin, detangle her hand, and retract her body completely from the boy. Jack jumped up, pried his phone from his back pocket and picked it up, clearing his throat loudly and storming to the other edge of the boat.

               Lana sat perched on the edge of the boat alone, trapped in her own thoughts, hand to her chest to try and calm the beating, all because she almost made a huge mistake.

this was so fun to write omg I cannot wait for the next few chapters it's going to be so worth it. love u guys thanks for being patient with me I've been really busy! votes and comments always help, and comment some suggestions for the story and I might bring ur idea in too! also if you'd like me to write for another player I'm up for it <3 - author :)