BEL | Four - Silence

Start from the beginning

I didn't mind it when she used that name - it was her middle name, so it was OK.

Marjorie raised her pale knuckle and knocked gently on a set of large double doors. Turning slightly, she aimed her kind grey eyes at me. "You look beautiful. Oh, they just grow up too fast."

I roll my eyes as she pats my back and walks away.

Marjorie was forever as dramatic as Leona.

Taking a deep breath, I plaster what feels like a perfect smile on my face as the doors are pulled open. It never falters as I take in the beautiful decor. A long dining table was placed in the middle of the ballroom.

It was intricately designed with flowers, and floral decors that made me inwardly shiver. A chandelier hung from the ceiling, giving the room and oddly bright and matched feeling. From where I stood, I could tell that most, if not all, of the guests were already seated. Most had their eyes on me, but the one that chilled me the most was the boring stare of the the rivaled Alpha who sat directly opposite my father.

I spotted Leona, who was too wrapped up in Jonathan, to recognize me.

I was used to that happening.

I made a conscious effort not to trip on my heels, and I was thankful for Auden and Beth's encouraging glances. Upon arriving a few steps away from the table, my father rose and strode determinedly to where I was. I halted my steps, in case he wanted to tell me something private.

I was used to that happening.

My father, Oleander Moreno, was the proud Alpha of the Crystalline Pack. He towered over me, even in my heels. His greying hair was slicked back elegantly, accentuating his deep brown eyes. The hard edges and ridges of his jaw and face reminded you that he was just as dangerous as he was ten years ago. Age meant nothing to a Werwolf - and my father was an example.

Leaning over slightly, he kissed my cheek before whispering in my ear. "I expected you to be here on time, Abigail. This behavior of yours needs to end soon; especially if you will be meeting your mate soon."

I tried not flinch at the reminder, so I simply nod and smile, showing the rest of the onlookers that we were having a normal father-daughter relationship. "Dad, why the hell are you doing this?" I murmur as he only smiles a sort of knowing smile.

"Time will reveal what words cannot, my dear."

I frown mentally, but I keep my expression neutral.

His large hand pressed against the small of my back as he lead me towards the crowded table. "Come, Abigail. Let us associate with the rest of our friends."

Associate? Our friends? Has he finally gone mad?

I keep my expression light and airy. Making sure that not a sliver of the anger mixed with curiosity that bubbled under my mask wasn't shown. I leaned into my father's warmth. Even if he wasn't really the best of fathers anymore, he and Leona was all that I had left.

I say nothing as he leads me past the only empty seat, still remaining silent as he steers me past our Pack's half of the table. I get small smiles from the Pack members which I politely return. Sure enough, Theron sat there. Next to the Gamma's daughter, Amity. A leggy blonde who he was effortlessly chatting up. No doubt preparing for another night after the dinner. I gave him a small smile in return for his wink.

Nasty piece of shit.

But like every other time, my smile never wavered. It is only when we end at the last person seated from our Pack, that I cannot feign my expression when I come to find out that NightShadow's side of the table was completely empty and only consisted of their Alpha, who sat at the head of the table and his father, who sat amicably to his son's right.