Chapter 16 - Blood brothers

Fifteen minutes have passed since Eddie entered the veterans' center and has not come out.

Outside the building, a SWAT intervention brigade and five members of the Los Angeles Police Department are preparing to enter, discussing the best approach by the bumper of an intervention vehicle. Captain Emmett Nando, a tall man with the build of a basketball player, holds onto his bulletproof vest as he listens to the words of Captain Nash and Sergeant Grant with a feigned intent, while furrows deepen on his forehead with each passing second.

"I understand that your friend thinks he can handle the situation, but I have civilians in this building and others living on the upper floors," he reminds them respectfully. "If our guy decides to target them and we don't stop him, things could escalate, and I could lose my job," he explains, removing the crackling earpiece from his ear.

"Eddie is a former military man; he has dealt with several similar cases before. I know he can handle it," insists Captain Bobby Nash, supported by his wife, who cannot hide the worry twisting her face as the radio has not transmitted a single snippet of conversation for a handful of minutes now.

"I know your service records, Sergeant Grant, and I admire your career," continues Captain Nando, gazing at her with admiration, "but I cannot wait any longer under any circumstances. We're going in."

She nods, thanks her colleague for listening to them, and urges her husband, Captain of the 118, to follow her. Before following her, searching for a new argument to convince the captain of the brigade, Bobby casts longing glances at the building, praying to his God to tell Eddie to hurry.

Further back, behind the police barriers, journalists grow impatient and try in vain to bribe the first uniformed personnel they see, who pass by without paying them any attention. Annoyed to hear them accosting the men of his team who are preparing to intervene in the building, Captain Nando, who was leading, stops, takes two steps back, and faces them.

He had always been calm, polite, and endlessly understanding. But over the years and the numerous missions his team had been called for, he had seen too many interventions turn into dramas because of the greed and frustration of many journalists who had lost their dignity over the years. However, feeling that the cameras were focused on his face, he thought of Nicole, his seven-year-old daughter, who would see him on the big screen on TV.

"We are not able to give you more information about what is happening inside," he explains with a gentleness he dedicates more to his little girl than to these people. "However, I strongly advise you to step back and let us do our job."

"And what about our job?" exclaims a male voice in the crowd. "Residents have the right to know what's going on in their neighborhood!"

Emmett is not able to distinguish the face of the man who had just quelled a wave of approving cries, but his gaze catches that of a blonde woman who arches an eyebrow in a challenging manner.

"We will come back to you when we have more information to offer, but all I can assure you for now is that the residents of the neighborhood do not need to worry about what is happening here. My team is the best, and we will take control of the situation. Thank you."

A clamor rises in the crowd, and microphones are extended toward him as voices overlap, creating a dissonant din in his ears.

Captain Nando rolls his eyes, turns his back on the journalists, and adjusts his earpiece properly. As he rejoins his men, amid protests from the men and women remaining on the sidewalk, he thinks about what his wife will say when he gets home tonight and his face is on all the screens in the house. She'll hate it, no doubt.

Leaning against the ladder truck, a few steps away, with their backs turned to the scene, the rest of the 118 team, and Lana Bradford, were talking quietly, observing the building's facade with eyes heavy with unspoken words. Hen and Chimney were betting on the outcome of the situation, and Buck was listening to them with a distracted ear, chewing on his already well-bitten thumbnail.