The Things That Lay Still

Louis's House, 2022 

No one POV 

Maggie sat next to Louis and Daniel said "So...question. Can an immortal meet mortality?" and Louis said "Technically, yes." 

Daniel said "How?" and Daniel said "Several ways. Starvation. Deny the body the blood. Conversely, drink the blood of the dead. He told me as much my first night reborn. Then, there's fire. Consume the body with fire and it can house no spirit. Decapitation. He confided that to me one blood-drunken night in Baton Rouge." 

Maggie said "He did much worse, or have you forgotten? Theoretically, it can be done. And we were going to" and Louis said "But could it be done by us to him? Could the children murder the father? He was stronger than us, quicker than us, in possession of ancient powers that had been passed on to his progeny only in a diminished form. Add to the toxic air a new ever-present paranoia, and now, you are with us. We were compelled to sleep in the same chamber together again. He would have it no other way. We would spend our hours enduring, with little pretense of getting along, locked together in hatred. He would have it no other way." 

Daniel said "He had just killed the person you loved, turned you against your will, and you were trapped with him, how did you get through that."

Maggie said "Very angrily, of course I couldn't show it. Our only opportunity to plot would be telepathically. And Claudia, she would use the advantage, but not much, Claudia was smarter than I was, I was filled with anger and grief, so I thought it was better to allow Claudia to do the plotting but make no mistake, she would plot a lot. We spoke more telepathically with each other than with."

Daniel sadi "Him?". 

Maggie said "Yes, him."

1934, Rue Royale 

In the room, Maggie was in the coffin looking up, and Claudia was speaking telepathically to her "Alright, let it out, you cannot keep it in, you have to let it out now." 

(Maggie Voiceover: It wasn't about the plot we spoke about, she was helping me with my grief, my anger, I knew what it could cost, so I would just talk about it with her, it was nice. And then of course Lestat in his maniac psychotic ways would make us all eat together.) 

In the dining room, Maggie looked on blankly as she drank from a cup as Lestat was bleeding someone out, Maggie looked over at him and Claudia telepathically said "Don't, you react, it's what he wants." 

Lestat said "Aww...there's four of us you must provide for tonight, Please forgive Margaret,she's still learning." 

He put his hand on Maggie's shoulder,Maggie kept looking on blankly and she picked at her nails and Lestat said "Those first moments are so special, especially for a seventeen year old, not what I expected, but she's doing so well, and yet." 

Louis trying to get the attention off Maggie, said "I've had my fill." 

Lestat looked over and said "Louis's never honored the blood as he should. Blame the teacher, not the student." 

Maggie looked over at Claudia. 

Maggie got up and said "May I be" and she saw a man coming in, and she opened the door and said "Who are you?". 

Lestat vamp sped over and held him by the shirt and the man said "I'm sorry. I'm sorry." 

Lestat said "Come to deliver letters of salvation?" and the Man said "I did... I did not mean to disturb." 

Lestat dragged him in and Louis said "This is a private house, and we find it disturbing when things are abandoned on our doorstep." 

The man said "You misunderstand.I-I'm an admirer. I-I've come seeking help."