Chapter Six

I was not aware that I was squirming in my seat until three pairs of eyes snapped to my face. My hands were clammy and my heart spasmed to its own un-choreographed beat.

The unusual décor of Mr Radford's office was something that I had hoped to have never had to endure again. Students were never summoned to The Headmaster's wing of the school unless intervention was necessary, and it was a known fact that a meeting with The Headmaster meant that you were in violation of the school's most prided rules of conduct.

Two files were placed neatly on the left hand corner of Mr Radford's prestigious oak desk, the only noticeable deviation from the otherwise pristine chambers. Mr Radford assumed his position behind his desk, leaning ever so slightly to neatly fold his hands onto the surface.

"So, Miss Holden" the man in the suit began, as if cutting the silence confined within the walls of the room with a knife, "It's lovely to finally meet the girl who has been troubling my father"

"Excuse me?" my eyes snapped towards his, and I gulped at the look in his eyes that apparently, no one else seemed to notice. Mr Lachey was too busy twiddling his thumbs and Mr Radford was mindlessly skimming through the files from earlier.

"Ah yes"

Mr Radford snapped his fingers, a gesture that seemed too mundane to be coming from someone with such high authority.

"I completely forgot. Miss Holden, this is my son, Finnegan" the movement of his mouth indicated that he had continued his introduction, however I was too busy repeating his words in my mind.

Son

Son

Son

"I was planning on formally introducing him to the entire student body during assembly, however I may have caused a ruckus instead by having him prance around" Mr Radford explained with laughter in his eyes.

"I for one, can tell you that the girls in my class are without a doubt having a field day, especially since they are currently unsupervised" Mr Lachey contributed as a subtle prompt to clarify the situation at hand.

"Ah yes. Let's get down to business shall we?" Mr Radford leaned into his chair, "I've already listened to both your sides' of the situation and to be a bit honest here, I just want to get this over with. I'm sure that you both do as well"

"Yes"

"Of course sir" we said at the same time.

"I would like to take full responsibility for what occurred and I apologize for reacting the way I did. It was not only unprofessional but incredibly inappropriate" Mr Lachey said, moving his attention from the Headmaster to myself.

"Me too" I answered hastily, "I mean- I apologize as well. For what I said" I silently cursed myself for not attempting to sound as put together as Mr Lachey had.

"Well" Mr Radford said, gaining our attention, "I do believe that that has been settled"

"That's it?" Finnegan blurted, piercing the silence, "Isn't there like a punishment or something?"

"Now son, do you really think that it's wise to cause unnecessary drama within this establishment?" Mr Radford countered with an air of superiority. "Especially since you're only essentially damaging yourself, seeing as Mr Lachey here-" he paused with a gesture, "-will essentially be one of your new bosses"

"What?!" I spluttered. "I'm sorry sir, but am I to assume that he will be working here?"

"Ah yes. Sorry for the confusion Ms. Holden, but it appears that I am terrible at keeping secrets" Mr Radford added with a chuckle. "You see, he won't be working here per se, more like, training."