58 | mineta's existence is a crime

Y/n sat on top of her desk as she watched Mina break dance in the middle of the classroom, impressing everyone with her skills. (Except Mineta, who was complaining about her safety-shorts. There's a reason why they're called safety-shorts and Mineta is the proof of that.)

Her back was to Bakugo this time. He was in his seat, too, but he'd put his headphones on and was looking at his phone. She was surprised he hadn't left the classroom, since he'd started doing that in the last few days. To be fair, she hadn't really dared approach him, either.

''Speaking about hobbies, what about yours, Jirou?'' Kaminari suddenly asked. Y/n directed her attention to Jirou, too.

''Hey! Knock it off!''

''Your room was like a musical instrument store. I'd even say it's way more than just a hobby for you,'' Kaminari explained.

''Sheesh! Let's just forget about that whole 'king of the rooms' thing, okay?''

''Nope! Yours is a Pro's room for sure! I mean, seriously!''

Jirou sen tone of her earphone jacks straight at Kaminari, stopping it inches away from his face, making him freeze in fear. ''I said stop!'' Jirou went back to her seat, while Kaminari whined, asking about what he'd done.

The bell rang and Y/n jumped down from her desk. As she moved to sit back down at her chair, her eyes moved to Bakugo, who was putting his phone and earphones away.

Mr. Aizawa came in with his usual yellow sleeping bag. ''It's School Festival Time.''

''Another S. L. E.!!''

The class fell into chaos, everyone bursting with excitement about it. Aizawa explained how the School Festival was mostly to highlight all the other courses, so it was still to be held despite all the villains they're facing at the moment. He explained that the festival would be with a smaller attendance list, and then allowed the class to get to planning.

''I, Tenya Iida, President of Class A, will be leading this discussion! Let's work together to make this process as smooth as possible.''

Y/n sight. Today was going to be a long day.

''First, suggestions! Those with ideas, please raise your hands!''

Multiple people raised their hands. Kaminari was the first one to speak, suggesting a Maid Cafe. Y/n got sudden flashbacks from the Sports Festival and shuddered. Then Mineta had to raise his suggestion to making a strip club, to which Y/n got up and kicked him off his seat while Tsuyu tied him away so he wouldn't be able to speak again.

A mochi stand, an arm wrestling competition, a haunted house. Suggestions kept on pouring in. Y/n didn't care. She had bigger problems than a school festival.

After everyone — even Y/n, suggesting a photo booth — Momo had written all suggestions on the board. Even the strip club. ''I beliebe everyone's given a suggestion? Let's eliminate the unreasonable, unfeasible and nonspecific ones.''

A lot of suggestions were erased; Y/n's wasn't, but Mineta's was, thank All Might. The bell rang before they could really decide, so Aizawa threatened them if they don't figure it out by the next day, they'd be doing a regular class open house. At this point, Y/n was going to run with Bakugo's suggestion of a deathmatch.

———

''She wants to see Midoriya?'' Tsuyu asked during their extra classes. All of the work-study students had to take them to catch up, seeing as they'd missed quite some school, meaning they couldn't really decide with the others about what they would do at the school festival.

''Yes. Both Midoriya and Togata.''

That had been the end of their class. Y/n packed her things and stood up, her bag slung over her shoulder as she waited for Kirishima. She had to talk to him.

''Thanks for waiting, L/n!'' Kirishima beamed at her as the two walked side by side. They were the last ones to leave, so at least they could talk in private.

''Yeah, no worries.'' Y/n clutched the strap of her bag, taking a gulp before speaking. ''I wanted to ask you something.''

''Of course! What's up?'' Kirishima answered with his usual grin.

''It's about Bakugo.'' She didn't dare call him Katsuki when he was mad at her. ''Has he mentioned anything about why we aren't talking to each other?''

Kirishima's smile dropped. He sighed. ''Yeah, I know what happened.''

Y/n sighed. ''How much does he hate me?''

Kirishima gave her a weak smile. ''I don't think he hates you. He really, really likes you. From what I can tell, I don't think he's ever really felt like that, so the rejection really did him a blow. He's more sad if anything, but you know how he is, he shows it through his anger.''

''Right.'' Y/n nodded. Him being sad was even worse than being furious at her, in a way.

''If I may ask, why did you reject him?''

''I don't know.'' Kirishima furrowed his eyebrows. ''I mean, I do know. I really thought he wasn't asking me out because he wanted to focus on being a hero at first, but I think I tried to delude myself into thinking that. Honestly, I was scared. I mean, he's my best friend and, yeah, I really, really like him, but what if something doesn't work out? What if he realizes he doesn't really like me and then he leaves and then what? It would just be over, and I loose my best friend.''

This was the first time Y/n had really admitted that to herself. Not even Mina had gotten that out of her. How could she scared of loosing him when the whole point of them being together would be to be together and not loose him? She hated this, hater her feelings, her brain, her reaction, herself.

''I think I kind of get your point.'' Kirishima nodded as they continued walking. It was starting to get dark now. ''But I don't think Bakugo's like that. His character may be difficult, but he's loyal. I mean, he acts like he hates me, but he still confines in me and listens to me talking about my own problems. He has a heart, deep down, you know? And I think he really, really, really likes you. If he didn't, he would never be asking you or anyone to be his partner, you know? Besides, it wouldn't be manly to lead you on.''

Y/n looked down at her feet as she walked. Kirishima had a point. Bakugo wouldn't be doing something unless he certainly wants it. That realization made her feel even worse.

''Thanks, Kiri. You somehow always know what to say.'' Y/n gave him a smile. ''And thanks for not thinking I'm a bitch for everything.''

''Hey, I could never! You're one of my best friends,'' Kirishima admitted. ''Besides, it's starting to get awkward. I'm tired for having to hide with Bakugo. Sorry about that, by the way, but he really doesn't have anyone else. Or, at least, he doesn't tolerate anyone else.''

''That's okay. Thanks for doing that, I'm glad he's not alone.'' He tends to get depressed if he's alone, but she didn't add that. She didn't want to worry Kirishima further.

Kirishima placed a hand on her shoulder. ''I'm sure if you apologize, he'll forgive you and everything will be okay again.''

He was right. She needed to apologize — and more. She needed to accept his proposal, if it was still valid.

A new spark of determination lit within her. She's been moping and depressed for days without actually doing anything for her situation. Bakugo wasn't going to come crawling back, his pride was too much for that. The ball was in her court now.