Chapter 16 - The Sad Part of Aging

Another year, another golden summer with you. The laughter was already leaping from my lungs when my sandals stepped on the shore. But I felt the joy dissipate, the smile dropping from my face, when I saw my grandmother hobble towards me. She never walked that slowly before. Her hand was on your arm. She looked like she would fall over without support.

Years ago, she had sped between people like a mighty, agile racehorse just to lift me and cradle me. She used to dance like the wind, merrily rolling from the mountain to the hills. And now... she looked smaller.

As we grew taller, her bones and skin sunk lower to meet the ground. Lola... was it just last summer that I was still looking up at her? Why does she barely reach my chin now?

I did not like this. She was supposed to be strong, always, for the rest of her days.

Memories of when she picked me up when I weighed nothing more than a blanket jumped into my mind. She pressed her nose against mine as I grabbed her cheeks and giggled.

Her hand wanted to touch my hair. I bent down so she could comb it over. Tears swelled, then fell from the corner of my eye, and I hurriedly wiped them away with the back of my hand. I held her shriveled arm and brought her fingers to my forehead.

I forgot you were there.

I grabbed both her hands and told her things she would like to hear. "I made friends in the city!" I told her of all the awards I won. Because they were dedicated to her.

"Are you well?" I asked her once I'd said what I could say. She was smiling: a smile less vibrant than the past summer, a flower drooping to the ground.

"I am well," she replied. "Now that you are here. I will get stronger." She nudged an arm beside her. I suddenly saw you. "This one has been helping me all this time."

You and I smiled sadly.