LXXIV. The Message

Madeleine traverses the grounds of the Hilltop with a determined stride as she orchestrates the Reapers, implementing a new watch plan to ensure they receive adequate rest and respite from their relentless duties

Madeleine traverses the grounds of the Hilltop with a determined stride as she orchestrates the Reapers, implementing a new watch plan to ensure they receive adequate rest and respite from their relentless duties. With a firm command, she dismisses her people, her authoritative presence instilling a sense of order amid the chaos that surrounds them.

Madeleine's keen gaze falls upon Michonne, her brow furrowed in contemplation as she observes a few Hilltopians disposing of the bodies from the previous night's skirmish. Madeleine recognizes the weight of Michonne's gaze, a silent testament to the toll that their world exacts upon them all.

And then, in the distance, Madeleine's attention is drawn to Carol, her silhouette tense against the backdrop of the Hilltop. Despite the facade of stoicism she presents to the world, Madeleine can sense the turmoil brewing beneath the surface, a testament to the burdens they all carry in their hearts.

Madeleine strides over to Michonne, her steps purposeful as she gently jostles the other woman's arm, drawing her attention. "What happened with Carol?" Madeleine probes, her tone tinged with concern.

Michonne sighs, her hand finding its way to her hip as she recounts the unsettling events of the night. "Henry disappeared," she reveals.

Madeleine's brow furrows in disbelief. "When?"

"During the night," Michonne confirms, her voice tinged with frustration. "No one knows where he could be, but the King got some of his people and Maggie's to search for him."

Annoyance simmers beneath Madeleine's surface, her jaw clenched tight as she considers the implications of Henry's disappearance. "The Reapers are all over the woods," she points out, her voice clipped with urgency. "They know him. If they find him, they'll bring him back."

"She doesn't think he's alive."

"After Sophia... it changed her," she reflects, her tone tinged with empathy. "It made her strong but harsh to the young ones. People tend to see her as cold, but it's just her way of showing how much she cares about them."

Michonne nods in understanding, her gaze thoughtful as she considers Madeleine's words. "Yeah," she agrees, a sense of recognition flickering in her eyes. "She reminds me of someone. Maybe that's why that someone understands her." A playful nudge from Michonne elicits an eye roll from Madeleine, but the moment is fleeting as Michonne's expression turns serious once more.

"Have you read it?" Michonne's question hangs in the air.

Madeleine's breath catches in her throat, her heart pounding fiercely against her ribcage at the mere mention of the letter Carl had penned for her before his untimely demise.

"Have you?"

Michonne nods solemnly, her gaze unwavering as she meets Madeleine's eyes. "Yeah, Rick hasn't read it either."

"After I found...," Madeleine begins, her voice choked with emotion as tears threaten to spill from her eyes. "I couldn't even bring myself to read what he wrote to her. But he knew she was dying, she knew he was dying. She had the damn letter!" Anguish floods her features as she shakes her head, the burden of guilt and sorrow pressing down on her shoulders like a leaden weight. "I can't even hold the letter he wrote me without feeling... empty"