Chapter 24

By the time we reached Utah Territory, the snows of winter had settled. As I stood up from my seat, I took my saddle up onto my shoulder. That prompted my arm to protest in a blinding shock of pain. I nearly dropped the old rig, but I kept it in my grasp even as every single step seemed to compound the agonizing ache throughout my shoulders and back. As I passed other passengers, some of which had stayed with the train from the Dakotas, they parted like the Red Sea. I don't know if it was the deep growl that I was trying to use to substitute the cussing and screams of hurt, or the way I just focused on the doors leading to the train landing. Once I reached the boardwalk, I sat down the saddle at my feet. Again, my battered and broken body cursed me with another lightning bolt of agony. 

By the time Abel was taken from the stock car, I was gritting my teeth hard enough I wouldn’t have been surprised if they broke right out of my mouth. By the time I had my boy’s reins in my hands, I was seeing everything through an agonizing red haze. My heartbeat reverberating in my chest made my ribcage throb with each pulse. But, I was still in well enough shape to make it out of the train station at the very least. So, with a shambling gait We walked off the landing and onto the streets. Just as I had barely felt the Utahn dirt crunch beneath my boots, a large hand rested itself on my shoulder followed by a warm voice. “Micheal, don't be afr-” 

Without a second thought, I wheeled around with my Peacemaker nearly free from its leather enclosure. But, who I saw immediately quelled my instinctual fury. The face was calming, oddly enough. Not handsome nor was he buzzard-ugly. He didn’t even seem perturbed by the snap or the gun half-shucked at my hip. About the time I felt that calm wash over me, I knew down in my gut that I wasn’t staring at just any man. 

The best way I can explain it, Demons often leave a heavy feeling deep down in your soul. It’s hard to mistake. Good people give off no pressure, at least the decent ones. But Angels… well, they’re supposed to be the opposite of the legions of Hell, right? I felt a weightlessness deep down inside, not the twitterpated sense when it came to Fira. But, my soul or what was left of it, it's just hard to explain. 

I felt my hand relax and the weight return to the iron’s holster. Once the gun was no longer in my grasp, the stranger grinned a pearly white smile. “Ha, I had a feeling it was you, Whirlwind.” Before I could ask who he was, or how he knew Who I was. He took Abel’s reins from my hands and held him steady. “Mount up, Micheal. Let us take you home to the sweet little lady you have at home. Your adoptive brothers don't wanna miss the wedding!” He gave a bellowing laugh as I felt the blood rush to my face. I dug in my pocket and still felt the cold metal of the rings. Despite the temperature outside, I felt an invigorating warmth fill me as I saddled up. 

The stranger led me and Abel through the mass of people boarding and leaving the train. If I was healthy, I would've taken the reins and saved some semblance of my dignity. But, It really couldn’t be helped. Even Abel moving sent small flares of pain ravaging my being. Thankfully, it was short lived. Before long, we reached a wagon. More akin to one of the buggies I saw in New York City, But, larger and with another three horses pulling it. 

In the driver’s seat sat a man no older than maybe my father had been, his face was slightly creased with olive skin. Atop his head sat a bowler hat, lightly frosted with snow. He seemed to be dressed warm, but even if he wasn’t I couldn’t tell. And he, of course, gave off the same aura as the angel now leading my horse. With a smooth motion of his hand, the angel leading abel fastened his reins to the back of the wagon. “Now that there isn’t a throng of people scurrying to and from locomotives, I believe introductions are in order!” The angel placed his hand on my back as I slid out of the saddle with a groan. But I could still hear the smile in his voice. “I am Gabriel, and our driver-” He motioned to the Angel holding the reins of the carriage team. “This is Uriel.” 

Uriel gave a curt wave before speaking. “Come, we have a journey ahead of us and the horses are getting restless and cold. Let's make haste.” He gestured to the cab of the carriage. “Seeing as you still feel the bite of winter, enjoy some warmth in the carriage, little brother. Rest while you can.”

I paused as recollection filled me, they were archangels. The Gabriel and Uriel I had read about in the bible with my mother.  Both of them, and they weren’t being malicious or stalwart in some high and mighty sense of duty. There was no berating or venom to their words, or if there was I didn't sense it. With a little wariness, I nodded. “Much obliged, Ill have to take you up on that.” I turned back to my saddle and pulled the coach gun from my bedroll lashed to my saddle before climbing into the carriage. 

Gabriel chortled. “Listen, Micheal. You need not for that. We are not here to harm you nor even Fira. We are friends and brothers. Michael, your namesake, has no dominion over us even in council.” he thumped his chest with his palm. “And even I was impressed when you stood against him. Same as Uriel.” 

I snorted with a grin. “That crossed my mind, but if you were gonna kill me or Fira, there wouldn’t be a carriage. This-” I held up the shotgun. “This is for the men who don’t give a damn whether we’re on a mission from God, or would even take that as an easy score. Don’t know if you’ve noticed, the world has gone to hell.” 

I ducked into the carriage. And did my best to relax as I heard the sound of reins slap horse hide and the carriage began to move. The cold was still bitter as we followed wagon roads south, crossing the same mountain range I rode through on my way to Salt Lake City. The air was frigid, and I felt bad for the horses outside. Granted, I knew their winter coats would keep them far warmer than I was in the carriage. Of course, it took us several days more to traverse the white landscape that had been shades of red, orange, and brown last time I had seen the area. I expected some sort of hold up during our travels. Gabriel and Uriel didn't need to rest, though. And I was set in the carriage cabin. Granted, half freezing. But sleeping and gnawing on whatever grub was passed back to me occupied my mind, as unused to a lull of this stature. Even the shotgun I carried into the carriage was little more than a weight to keep the sheepskin coat closed. 

It may have took several days, but in the mind numbing lull of traveling with the two archangels, It seemed to pass like a strange dream. Sun up to sun down as my body healed. Before long, we found ourselves in the foothills of the mountains that heralded the entrance of my home range.