Chapter 23

Anna

Although Charles and I were in contact almost every day at the beginning of the season, gradually the need to call and write to each other disappeared. At first, I was sad about it, but when I realized in retrospect that nothing serious actually happened between the two of us, I felt a little better about it. Maybe Gabriele also contributed to this because he suddenly started trying to have long and deep conversations with me, and it was actually very nice to have someone with whom I could spend my free time.

Even though I knew from the beginning that Gabriele was not my first choice, and I wouldn't have gone on a date with him under different circumstances, it couldn't be denied that he had great charisma. And his 190 cm, broad shoulders, tanned skin, and dark hair and eyes only added to his personal charm. He talked passionately about cooking, his home country, and music and I could listen to him for hours because of how sexy his accent was.

When Charles appeared at the restaurant out of the blue at the beginning of April, he seemed to me like a friend I hadn't seen in a long time. I forbade myself to feel any of what I felt for him before he left. I decided not to hurt myself with this crazy long-distance relationship (or whatever it was) because I knew I was losing more than I was gaining.

"I'm glad to see you again. How were you?" Charles asked as I walked out into the street where I was supposed to wait for Gabriele to turn off the lights and set the alarm. "Hi, yeah, fine. And you?" I answered his question. This conversation was so far removed from all the late-night calls we had just a few weeks ago. So superficial.
"Yeah, everything is fine. Actually, I was wondering if you have time to go out with me?"
I inhaled, but before I could answer him, the door slammed behind me, and a strong arm wrapped around my shoulders. "Sorry dude. Anna already has something planned," answered Gabriele for me, and Charles looked surprised and disappointed for a tiny moment. For such a tiny moment that I thought maybe I was just imagining it.
"I see. Well, I'm only here for 3 days, but if you..."
"Dude, I'm saying Anna's got something," Gabriele growled, letting go of me and striding over to Charles, who was half a head shorter than him.
"Sorry," I sputtered towards Charles and grabbed Gabriele's hand to prevent any potential conflict. "Shall we go?" I said to Gabriele and started walking with him to my car.

I glanced over my shoulder just once, but Charles was no longer standing on the pavement. His slender figure receded in the darkness in the opposite direction. "How do you even know him?" Gabriele asked me as we got into the car, and I drove to his apartment to drop him off and then head home. "He's my uncle's teammate after all," I answered simply.
"And that's all? He seemed quite persistent."
"He was the first person I made friends with here. But it's nothing, really," I reassured him, even though it wasn't entirely true.
"I hope so." Gabriele put his palm on my knee and squeezed me hard. So hard that the knuckles on his hands turned white and I had to control myself not to hiss in pain.

"Hello!" I yelled into the living room where I sensed Lewis's presence.
"Well, finally. I thought the lady of the house was completely lost," Lewis grinned as I walked up to him, and he wrapped me in a tight hug. "I missed you," he said, and a pleasant feeling of warmth spread through my body.
"I missed you too, dad," I whispered, surprising not only him but mainly myself.