Chapter 5

Anna

"Nice to see you, Anna," Lewis stated, looking like he hesitated for a moment thinking about whether he should hug me. Finally, he gave up and suggested we sit down. We both ordered soy lattes and stared at each other in silence for a few minutes. I wondered what it must be like for him. Staring at a strange girl who looks so much like the girl he once had an affair with. But I felt no sympathy for him. After all, he was the one who chose not to be a part of my life when he had the chance.
"Do you want to tell me straight away why you called me? Or should I start talking?" he asked as they brought our order. "I haven't been doing very well lately," I started lightly so we could avoid digging into the past and blaming each other. "I was wondering if you might know of a job. I got fired and it looks like I won't be able to get a job in London. My reputation precedes me, and my past literally kicks my ass."
"I'm moving to Italy soon. I'm sure they don't know anything about your reputation there," he shrugged.
"To Italy?" I asked in disbelief.
"I'm joining Ferrari. Haven't you heard about that?"
"I don't know anything about Formula 1, to be honest," I admitted and shrugged my shoulders.
"That's a shame," Lewis sneered, but then his eyes softened. "Maybe it's crazy, but I'll give you a suggestion."
I nodded and waited to see where the conversation would go.
"I bought a house in Bologna. Quite a big house," he began, and I furrowed my brows. "I know you probably won't agree, but feel free to move there. I don't want anything from you. We don't have to play happy family, I just want to give you a chance for a fresh start. Maybe both of us."
I stared at him with my mouth open. A guy who hasn't even sent me a birthday card in twenty-two years of my life is seriously offering me to move to Italy with him? And am I seriously considering accepting the offer?
"Can I think about it for a few days? It's quite a big step," I asked, biting my bottom lip nervously. Lewis nodded and smiled at me. After a while, we said our goodbyes and I dialed Daisy on the way so I could talk to her about what had just happened.

"I don't understand what you're even thinking about," she told me indignantly as we sat down on a park bench, and I briefly told her what Lewis had proposed. "It's a huge change. I never left Britain. I don't know a word in Italian," I began to calculate the reasons why I was hesitating. "And above all, I don't know the guy at all. What if we don't get along?"
"Well, then you'll come back and live with me. You'll find a job in a warehouse somewhere for minimum wage and cry on my shoulder every night about how shitty life is."
"Wow, Daisy. Do you always have to be so honest?" I smirked but she just shrugged.
"Although I will be sorry that you will be so far away. But it's a big opportunity, Annie. I think you should try it. You have nothing to lose now anyway."
"I know, you're right," I admitted, resting my head on her shoulder.

"Hello," I reported on the phone the next day. "If you meant it, I'll take it."
"Hi, I'm glad to hear that. Can you handle all the paperwork?" he asked.
"I think I can," I said. At least I hope so.
"If you need help with anything, feel free to let me know. I will then send you more details about the departure and you can decide if you want to leave now or join later," he informed me and I nodded, even though he couldn't see me.
"OK, thanks. I appreciate it Lewis," I said and ended the call.

This is going to be a lot of fun.