Chapter 13: the one everyone's been waiting for

Summary:

Before they leave Privet Manor, Tom has a bone to pick with the Dursleys.

Harry wondered whether this was how Dobby felt when he realised Harry was going to free him, minus the attraction Harry couldn't quite will away, even at a time like this. Tom looked every bit a handsome prince charming now, even when wearing what looked like soldier's clothing. His hair was slightly windswept and it only added, in Harry's very unbiased opinion, to Tom's overall angelic appearance.

At Harry's greeting, Tom gave a laugh that was a mixture of pained and relieved. It was all Harry could do to simply stand still as Tom walked carefully over to him and pulled him into a gentle but firm embrace. Harry hugged Tom back with all of his strength, which is to say, not much.

"I missed you," Tom said when they parted, his voice somewhat strained.

While the odd feeling in Harry's stomach could have been hunger, Harry was pretty sure in this moment that it was butterflies.

"I can tell you my name now," Harry said. "Hi. I'm Harry Potter."

Tom grinned at him. "Hello Harry Potter, I'm Tom Riddle." Tom didn't seem to want to completely let go of Harry, which suited Harry just fine because he wasn't entirely sure he could reliably support his own weight.

The tips of Tom's fingers brushed against Harry's face, and it took Harry a few seconds to realise that Tom was inspecting his various injuries. Briefly, so briefly, Harry hated that Tom was seeing him like this: weak, injured, fragile. He didn't want to be any of these things. But there was no trace of pity on Tom's face, and it was either this or Harry's lack of energy that drained his irritation and embarrassment from him.

"Most of these were technically self-inflicted," he offered.

"Which ones weren't?" Tom replied. Harry could tell his nonchalance was forced.

He wondered how to best go about explaining. "Umbridge gave me the scars on my hand," he said. Tom's expression darkened somewhat.

"The bruises?"

"Dudley."

"And the cuts?"

"I fell," Harry said. Tom raised a skeptical eyebrow. "I fell out of a pumpkin." The eyebrow raised further. "I fell out of a pumpkin hurtling down the road at high speeds," he amended finally.

"You're going to tell me this story in great detail," Tom said, "After I murder your entire family." Harry laughed.

"Where are they?" he asked.

"In the garden, awaiting judgement," Tom said darkly. "The faster I take you away from here the better. Assuming," he added tentatively, "that you want to come."

"Are you insane?" Harry exclaimed. "Let's get out of here, I'm starving."

Whether Tom was aware that Harry probably needed the assistance or not, Harry was grateful that Tom didn't let him go, supporting him with an arm around Harry's waist as they descended the spiral stairs.

When they entered the garden, there was a small crowd waiting. Dobby was being held back bodily from Umbridge, who was staring at him with mixed horror and revulsion. "Umbridge will not insult Harry Potter in front of Dobby, no she won't, or Dobby will shut Umbridge's mouth for her!" Dobby cried. Next to Harry, Tom stiffened.

"Arrest Umbridge," Tom ordered, getting straight to business. "On the grounds of torture." His soldiers scrambled to comply, ignoring Umbridge's squawks of protest. Umbridge was dragged away.

Dobby took the opportunity to disapparate with a crack , though Harry got the impression that he would see Dobby again very soon. Meanwhile, a man with straw-coloured hair and freckles was walking towards them.